#1 DHTSFWriter

DHTSFWriter

Over The Top

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published three works. Two novels and one graphic novel. You can find me on Amazon, Nook and Comixology.

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

The Endgame: The goal of your story

Endgames aren’t just for heroes or villains or even e-sports games. It’s the difference between a tight story and one that goes on too long. Let’s jump into the gist of how to give your story a goal that leave one with something.

What is an endgame? Let’s use three popular stories for the endgame.

Star Wars: The death star is destroyed bringing a small victory to the rebellion.

Silence of the Lambs: Agent Starling brings an end to a serial killer and rescues the girl.

The Dark Knight: Joker is implied to have been killed by Batman. Even if not so his defeat brings the end of an intense rivalry.

Those three examples highlight the concept of the endgame which is the goal of the story. What is it trying to teach, what is it trying to bring to the table, what will it leave with you. It is often said half the fun of an adventure is not the destination but the trip itself.

The meat of any story comes from the journey and the endgame determines the kind of trials we will go through, to that end. What I am saying here is you should first work on what the endgame is then when you have worked it out. Write it down in many of its variations and even if you find one, keep the others just in case.

Every story needs an endgame to bring it to life. I have determined the ten types of goals in stories. Feel free to add anything new.

1.       Something or something must be retrieved

2.       Something or someone must be fixed

3.       Something or someone must be stopped or ended

4.       Someone or something must be delivered

5.       Someone must be rescued

6.       A mystery must be solved

7.       Someone must meet someone

8.       Something must be maintained

9.       Something must be resolved

10.     Something must be created

With this in mind, it would be good to use these to craft a good endgame and journey to that goal. I am not telling you how to make a story, but I am giving you a guide to create a tight story that doesn’t creep into convolution.

And with that I like to see some good stories.

Dennis Toy Jr. 

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:10 PM

Good stuff, Dennis.

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

For these and other reasons I try always to envision the ending of the story before I get to much into it.

#4 DHTSFWriter

DHTSFWriter

Over The Top

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have published three works. Two novels and one graphic novel. You can find me on Amazon, Nook and Comixology.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:10 AM

Thank you all

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Non-Fiction, Traditional Publishing, E-Publishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users