Disclaimer

Photo

#PitMad Success for YA Contemporary--tweet included!

Fiction Literary Fiction Romance Young Adult

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mzbritney12

mzbritney12

The Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hey Friends! I'm so excited to finally be posting a successful query on here! 

Queries can be hard--especially when you have advice pulling you in so many different directions. At some point, you really just need to go with your gut. At the end of the day, it's your work after all. 

And also . . . you've got this!

Without further ado, here's the query and #Pitmad Tweet that landed me my super rad agent. 

For the full story, go here!

For more about the agent. check this link out.

Mr. [Agent],  

As requested, here you go!

#PitMad Tweet: A boy with a timer on his heart tries to overcome his death sentence by making sense of the world through books. 

At eleven-years-old, Noah Dean Turner learns that he has ventricular tachycardia, a potentially life threatening arrhythmia that causes his heart to beat twice as fast.

With the support from his granddad, Noah makes it to year seventeen. Long hours in the garden and reading thick books has provided a distraction to his inconsistent heartbeat. But when Noah's granddad passes away, and he's forced to move in with his promiscuous aunt, he hops on a bus in hopes of finding a place that he can call home. Instead, Noah is dropped off at a retreat center called Camp Neodesha. There, he realizes two things. One: everyone's story parallels to a book he's read. And two: falling in love with a broken heart is, in fact, as deadly as it seems.

RUBATOSIS: THE UNSETTLING AWARENESS OF ONE'S OWN HEARTBEAT can be summarized as Alice in Wonderland meets The Fault in Our Stars. This story isn't just about a boy with a death sentence, it's an adventure story about growing up, a story about finding love and meeting radical characters that help Noah make sense of the world, including a boy who steals, a kind stranger that smokes hookah, a domineering mother figure that owns a smiling cat, and a girl with wild hair and heterochromia eyes that makes Noah forget about every good book he's read.

I am no medical expert, but I have experienced enough heartache of my own to write this book.

I am, however, a twenty-three-year-old in Kansas City. I am a Leasing and Marketing Professional, and if I’m not day-dreaming about new stories, or binging the YouTube, you can find me practicing West Coast Swing dancing. 

Per request, I’ve pasted the synopsis and the first two chapters below.

Can't wait to hear back from you.

Best, 

Britney Lewis

I'm a writer who wants to support other writers. Follow my blog, and I'll follow yours!

Link: http://britneylewisbooks.blogspot.com/

#2 wanna_husky_pupper

wanna_husky_pupper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Published a couple of dozen scholarly articles and chapters...six people across the globe think they're pretty great. I'm kind of (not) a big deal.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Congratulations Britney!

#3 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in December 2017. Book Two -- SHELVED UNDER MURDER -- will be published in July 2018 and untitled as of yet book three in Jan. or Feb. 2019.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:45 AM

Congratulations!

#4 mzbritney12

mzbritney12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:33 AM

Congratulations Britney!

Thanks so much! 

I'm a writer who wants to support other writers. Follow my blog, and I'll follow yours!

#5 mzbritney12

mzbritney12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Congratulations!

Thank you, Lucid Dreamer! It's much appreciated. --Plus, I must say, I vividly remember asking for your wisdom when I first began the query process years ago. :) 

#6 humandancer

humandancer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

Congratulations Britney! I'm so glad I saw this news. I had a look at your blog post and it's a great example of not giving up.

#7 mzbritney12

mzbritney12

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:26 PM

Congratulations Britney! I'm so glad I saw this news. I had a look at your blog post and it's a great example of not giving up.

HumanDancer! Thank You! I'm glad you saw this, too! It can be crazy hard to get a perfect query, or even a perfect tweet (because you don't really get a whole lot of room to say a lot). 

I'm also so happy that you found my blogpost insightful. I've been querying for probably 6 years now, so there are many rejections floating around on a list somewhere. :)

But honestly, if you're curious about a certain agent to query (one that I haven't wrote about yet) please do let me know! There are so so many agents that I've queried and haven't reviewed yet. 

I'm always on the look out to help my writing friends. 

As well, good luck with everything! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Literary Fiction, Romance, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users