TheMAG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:48 PM

Hi there. So I'm revising a book I wrote and few agents I pitched to at a conference said I could send them the first chapters when I'm done revising. One agent said because my main character is 13 and that is right at the start of YA it probably should be a MG book. I'm hoping to make this into series and the content for this book might be MG but the other planned books would absolutely be YA.

Do you think it's ok to have the first book be MG and then plan for the sequels to be YA or all the books should be YA? Also I've heard a book should be classified as middle grade if the romance is very innocent (crushes, first kiss). That's the type of romance for my MC in this book. If I did go with my book being YA could I do that when the very innocent romance is the only kind in the book?

I would appreciate any advice.

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

Worked for JKR. 

This is why people advise against a 13-year-old protagonist btw, it's no-man's land as far as MG/YA. Generally, MG is 8-12, YA is 14-18, and people tend to stay away from 13 because it's hard to categorize.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

Children grow and change; it's ok for series to develop for older readers. The most obvious example is Harry Potter, as Springfield suggested.

The way I would deal with it is follow the agent's advice and keep in my mind that your audience will develop. I wouldn't worry about the romance too much. I think a relationship between a young boy and girl is totally appropriate in MG, as it is in YA. Presumably there's nothing outside of any innocent moments of togetherness and understanding. Write as believable a pair of characters as you can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users