4 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:A short story in Underneath the Juniper Tree.

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

I've sent out 12 queries for a novel, and received 5 rejections, most of them thoroughly impersonal form rejections. I'm really feeling in need of help for honing the query for future attempts, but I'm worried when I still haven't heard back from those other agents. Some of them could take months to hear from, and I'd like to start moving forward and learning more now.

How dangerous is it to ask for query critique under these conditions? How likely are agents to search and find it, and if they do, how unprofessional does that make me look? What if an agent I query is even a member here?

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

Honestly, it's not unusual for queries to be constantly changed and revised. You'll see plenty of people on this board who have sent out a query, only to reopen their thread for edits because the original query isn't getting responses. If an agent decides that they don't want to rep you just because you're continuing to edit your query, then also maybe not an agent who would be great for you to work with, anyway. Plus, I think it's pretty darn unlikely that an agent is going to come looking for your query online, anyway. They get hundreds of queries per week; do you think they're really going to spend the time to google each and every one just so they can find out... what? That the writer was using an online board to make their query better? They have a lot better things to spend their time on.

The best thing you can do is spend your time making your query as good as it can possibly be, including using the resources like this site to get there. So don't be afraid that posting here will hurt your chances of nabbing an agent.

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

From my perspective, agents get too many queries to go searching for earlier versions of a query. If they like your query, they'll request to see your manuscript, not search for your earlier versions of the query. If your query isn't getting the response you want, run it past the folks here and see how you might be able to improve it. That's essentially what this site and community are for. As I've liked to say, "Query is our middle name here in AQC."

#4 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:A short story in Underneath the Juniper Tree.

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Alright. Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I decided to go ahead and share it. If anyone's willing to give it a look, it can be found here.

#5 Thrash

Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

Glad you're sharing!  Seeking advice and being open to revision doesn't make you seem unprofessional, but quite the opposite. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users