#1 annabella

annabella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:47 PM

Can't believe I finally get to make this post! Reading these when I was querying really helped me, so I wanted to return the favor. My query received 19 full requests, 2 partials, and 4 offers of representation. A year later, and now I have a book deal :D It's called THE STORM CROW now, but was THE CROW QUEEN in my query.

THE CROW QUEEN is a YA Fantasy novel complete at 87,000 words that will appeal to fans of the magic and strong female friendship in Susan Dennard’s TRUTHWITCH.

Seventeen-year-old Princess Ana Cerralté’s dreams of becoming a Crow rider were shattered when the Illucian Empire attacked her kingdom, destroying the riders’ massive Crows and killing Ana’s mother.

A year later, Ana’s depression from the loss of her mother and the future she trained for her entire life consumes her. When Illucia gathers their strength for a final assault on Ana’s now vulnerable kingdom, her sister agrees to engage Ana to the cruel Illucian prince in exchange for peace. Believing Illucia plans to forcibly place Ana and the prince on her kingdom’s throne once the marriage is official, Ana searches desperately for an alternative. When she finds a Crow egg in the ruins of the royal rookery, she scrambles to hatch it, knowing the powerful elemental magic of even one Crow could level the playing field between the kingdoms – but the secret of hatching may have died with the Crows.

As Ana hunts down the last known Crow rider in hopes of learning the egg’s secrets, she discovers the prince is having her followed, and may already know about the egg. To stop her engagement, Ana must let go of her past and depression and hatch the egg before her kingdom falls and she loses everything to Illucia again.

I have a B.A. in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing from Santa Clara University and recently won Writer's Digest's Mainstream/Literary Short Story contest. I've included the first ten pages below per your submission guidelines, and would like to let you know this is a multiple submission. 

Thank you for your time, 

Contact Info

#2 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:17 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a great story!

#3 annabella

annabella

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks a bunch, Kit! :)

#4 Nessa

Nessa

YA Author

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE BRIDGE (Harmony Ink Press)
    Blue Marble Review
    Undergrad lit mags
    Zines

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:07 PM

Congrats!

Strong female friendships? Giant crows? Sign me up. I'll be picking up a copy.

Also! Congrats on winning WD's short story contest.

How many queries did you send out? And how many times did you revise during the querying process?

#5 mzbritney12

mzbritney12

The Grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

This is freaking awesome! Congrats!

I'm a writer who wants to support other writers. Follow my blog, and I'll follow yours!

Link: http://britneylewisbooks.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users