#1 JNKhoury

JNKhoury

Veteran Member (Finally!)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am repped by Lucy Carson of the Friedrich Agency. My YA debut ORIGIN will be released from Razorbill (Penguin) in Septemer 2012.

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

I've found that my Kindle is really helpful as I get to the final editing stages with a manuscript. You can email the Word doc. to your Kindle within minutes, and then you can read it in the same format you read other books, which is cool. But even better, you can highlight and make notes all over the text, and then pull up a list of the notes you made. From there, you can systematically go through your book (Kindle in one hand, computer in the other) and make revisions. I did three or four complete full edits this way and it saved my eyes from having to read on the computer and my printer from having to churn out thousands of pages every other day!

Happy editing!
Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. --e. l. doctorow

#2 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

I find it gives me a fresh perspective too. Reading my MS on my kindle lets me see pacing issues and things I might otherwise miss.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

I often use my Kindle for critiquing manuscripts in my writer's group. It is great for reading on the train. Highlighting pertinent passages and adding comments is easy as is copying the comments to a word processor. The only downside is that I am slow typing comments on the keyboard with my thumbs. That is more my problem than the Kindle's.

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:00 AM

For those without a kindle, but still needing a fresh perspective, I find changing the percentage size I'm viewing the doc in (found in the lower right corner in the latest version of word) does the trick.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I've used both iPhone and Kindle to edit. Kindle is a great reading device but not so good for editing. I found the iPhone better for early drafts and the Kindle better for final edits. The physical keyboard is soooo slow/cumbersome compared to a virtual keyboard. I make up codes so I don’t have to type so much on Kindle. No trees were harmed writing my MS. With iPhone you can use Stanza to copy your files across.

#6 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I love Kindle for this as well, and it's one of the big reasons why I bought it. For example, I went up camping recently, and instead of lugging along my 500-page manuscript to edit, I simply took my Kindle with the manuscript loaded on it. Oh, how I love technology! :laugh:

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or to read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpgSmallCover_zpsa4ea36fe.jpg

#7 Derrick

Derrick

Giver of Rocky-themed Pep Talks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

I do this, but I would also recommend the notepad by 7 Dragons. I use it to write new scenes or make a MS to-do list when I'm not by a comp.

note: the Kindle 3's refresh is best if you don't want to go crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users