2 replies to this topic

#1 RMLucas

RMLucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Wrote for college newspaper.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:38 PM

Not sure f this is the right area to ask, but thoughts on hiring a freelance editor? Heard it’s a bad idea considering your book will go through editing if it sells. General consensus is that betas are the way to go, but any experience otherwise?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 27 December 2017 - 10:29 AM

It depends where you are in the process and what your goals are. In my opinion, you should go through your manuscript several times before even sharing it with betas. After you've shared with some betas, review their recommendations and apply what you agree with. If you think it's really pretty tight, and if you're looking to go the traditional route, I think you can probably send it out to appropriate agents.

The comment that the manuscript will go through editors if it's sold is true. But before it's sold, it needs to hook an agent. And an agent isn't likely to agree to take you on if the manuscript is a mess.

If you decide to go the self-pub route, I definitely would recommend you hire an editor. But that's after you've done the multi-self-review and beta process.

#3 RMLucas

RMLucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Wrote for college newspaper.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Thanks MW Sinclair. It seems this is the general consensus. I’ve gone through several edits and betas already but it’s alway nail biting to take that step towards submission when you want your novel to be perfect :) but editing is sooo expensive. May not be able to afford it even if I wanted to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users