#1 JordanTheNinja

JordanTheNinja

The Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published in a magazine.

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

The other day, I was writing (of course) and I got to thinking about little things that I do, or ways I know that I'm really in the zone. I'm working on a novel, and this is the first time in a long time that I'm very excited about what I'm writing. I like to listen to music when I write, I like to just let myself go, and see where the characters take me. I have to wait for the words to come to me. What little things do you guys do? Do you have any writing rituals, or anything you do while you're writing? I think it's interesting to see what works for some people and the different ways we do things during our writing sessions.

Through trials comes triumph.

My social media:

Twitter: JordanAdams1128

Instagram: jordan_adams1128 (I post too many selfies, but also some writing  :cool: )

Snapchat: jordan_adams7

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

Congrats on your excitement in finding the zone. :) It's always a glorious thing to feel that creative rush.

I occasionally listen to music, but that's usually during my 2nd/3rd/4th drafts, when I'm not struggling to actualize my 1st draft. Regardless of draft, I take frequent breaks to walk aimlessly. I hate sitting still. Shoutout to all the writers who manage to sit still for an hour. They're the real role models of the community. :D

I love dogs

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,714 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

Most of my personal writing has been on the train over the past several years. I don't recommend it.

#4 RMLucas

RMLucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Wrote for college newspaper.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I used to write during my lunch breaks at work, but I don’t recommend that either. I do love going to a cafe or outside somewhere to type. Less temptation at distraction. I always have a glass of wine after I’m done writing for the day.

#5 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:08 PM

I find it interesting that a lot of people put on music when they write, because I absolutely cannot. It's way too much of a distraction, even instrumentals. Makes it harder to hear my rhythm, I guess.

As far as my routines, I guess the one thing that I do is that when I'm actually writing my stories (as in writing the first draft, not editing, rewriting, or revising), I'll keep a spreadsheet of my word count for each day. I try to keep a minimum of a thousand words per day. So I guess part of how I know when I'm really in a groove is when those daily word counts really start hitting higher numbers. Like I knew the book I'm trying to get agented right now was something good because I wrote all 100,000 words over I believe a 32-day span, with only three of those days being under 2000-word days. Best writing day I ever had (for a different story) was 12,000 words. So apparently what I'm saying is that part of my process is to get nerdy with numbers.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users