#1 Dayspring

Dayspring

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:I edit and write for a small magazine and edit other things including books on a freelance basis. I've had one book published as a ghost writer (Freedom Press) and have a historical YA novel coming out in 2018 (Christian Focus), but my first love is literary fiction.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone write what could be called Literary Christian, i.e. with a Christian worldview but with the emphasis on good writing - less formulaic than the norm, possibly a little edgy without being gratuitous? (Marilynne Robinson is a good example.) I've been looking into this genre quite a bit, and it looks like it's never really taken off, because it was traditionally a risky venture for Christian bookstores - edgier novels didn't sit well with more conservative readers. However, with the popularity of e-books I thought it might be easier for more complex Christian fiction to find an audience. Does anyone else write this genre?

#2 Sassalota

Sassalota

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published Novel, Ruby in the Water under the pen name J.P. Sterling.

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

My first novel could fit in that genre. I just frequently change the genre just to boost sales nd experiment. Any time I have it listed as Christian or inspirationalanything it seems to have WAY less sales. So, you are prolly right to think it wouldn't be a easy sell.

#3 JoQwerty

JoQwerty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope

Posted 04 January 2018 - 07:58 AM

It depends upon how narrowly you define Christian fiction. The novel, The Sermon on the Fall of Rome, by Ferrari is at its core a meditation on a sermon given by St. Augustine to the faithful after Rome was sacked. In 2012 it won the Prix Concourt, the highest literary award in France. It has since been translated into a number of different languages. I enjoyed it, though I am not sure you would find it in a Christian Bookstore.

#4 Zaarin

Zaarin

Tolkien Acolyte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

I write literary fiction from a Christian world view, but I'm very hesitant about pitching it to the Christian market, so much of which is just "play it safe" Amish romances and "make you feel good about your faith" fare. And thrillers, for some reason...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users