Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?)

Non-Fiction Young Adult

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

Dear...

American Idol ran for 15 seasons and drew tens of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities. and it's not even the first of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the World. My book, So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?), attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a "course of action" to become a professional performer. 

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, So You Wanna Be A Singer is targeted to help pre-teens and teens who think they may want to become singers for a living and don't know how to get started. It will also be very useful  to their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career. My book is meant to be an easy read, in under 25,000 words, that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation to their own creative genius.

I am a full-time performer who started singing in church choir and went on to study music in high school, college, and privately in New York City. After having performed in New York and abroad, I started my series on Youtube which has garnered 13,000 subscribers and over 4 million views and inspired many young singers to pursue music as a full-time career or part-time vocation.

Sample segments of So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Dear...

American Idol ran for 15 seasons and drew tens of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities. There are problems with tense, agreement, and btw, AI is back.and it's not even the first of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the World.Why is that capped? My book, So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?), attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a "course of action" to become a professional performer. I don't get the quotes, or what this entails -- I presume you have a full proposal ready to go with this, but even still, this needs to be more specific. The incorrect grammar in the title is making me twitchy, but I presume there's some reason for it. The incorrect grammar in the query is not going to be acceptable to agents, even if cutesy book titles can be.

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, So You Wanna Be A Singer is targeted to help pre-teens and teens who think they may want to become singers for a living and don't know how to get started. Again, by doing what? It will also be very useful  to their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career. Same q. this is just repetitive and vague. My book is meant to be an easy read, in under 25,000 words, That's not a book -- see below. that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation to their own creative genius.

I am a full-time performer who started singing in church choir and went on to study music in high school, college, and privately in New York City. After having performed in New York and abroad, I started my series on Youtube which has garnered 13,000 subscribers and over 4 million views and inspired many young singers to pursue music as a full-time career or part-time vocation.

Sample segments of So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Aside from anything else, no one is publishing that as a standalone book. It's around 40-50,000 words short, at a minimum. An easy read has nothing to do with length, but publishing houses do work on length, and that's a short story, not even a novella. 

Nonfiction works are queried with a proposal, so you need that, but you also need 40-50,000 more words before you think about a proposal or query. 

#3 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Thanks so much for taking the time to look this over. I really appreciate and will continue to keep tweaking it. Yes, the title is a catch-phrase that's been quoted back to me more times than I can count over the years. Here's a bit of revision. 

American Idol ran for 15 seasons and drew 10s of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities; and it's not the only one of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the world. The yearning of aspiring singers to turn their passion into their profession. My book, So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?), attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a course of action to become a professional performer.

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, So You Wanna Be A Singer is targeted to help pre-teens and teens. This book is written to help young singers understand the many career opportunities available to them and how to best train for a future in show business. It will also be very helpful to their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career; showing them the many career choices available as a professional singer. So You Wanna Be A Singer is meant to be an easy read, in under 25,000 words, that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation of singers to the business side of show business. 

I am a full-time performer who started singing in church choir and went on to study music in high school, college, and privately in New York City. After having performed in New York and abroad, I started my So You Wanna Be A Singer series on Youtube in 2007 which has garnered 13,000 subscribers and over 4 million views. This series has inspired many young singers to pursue music as a full-time career or part-time vocation.

Sample segments of So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

I do understand what you mean about the word count, but this isn't a densely packed novella. It's more of a workbook. I can add more to it but want to make it accessible to kids around my nieces' ages who want to read things that are short, fun, and packed with information. 

#4 Daisy

Daisy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

Thanks so much for taking the time to look this over. I really appreciate and will continue to keep tweaking it. Yes, the title is a catch-phrase that's been quoted back to me more times than I can count over the years. Here's a bit of revision. 

American Idol ran for 15 fifteen seasons and drew 10s tens of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities; and it's not the only one of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the world. The yearning of aspiring singers to turn their passion into their profession. My book, So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?), Title of your m/s is always capitalized attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a course of action to become a professional performer.

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, So You Wanna Be A Singer capitalize your title is targeted to help pre-teens and teens. This book is written to help young singers understand the many career opportunities available to them and how to best train for a future in show business. It will also be very helpful to their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career; showing them the many career choices available as a professional singer. So You Wanna Be A Singer is meant to be an easy read, you're losing my attention around here. Even something as simple as breaking up the block of text can help stop a reader from becoming bored. You might try that since there's nothing really wrong with what's written here.  in under 25,000 words, that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation of singers to the business side of show business. 

I am a full-time performer who started singing in church choir and went on to study music in high school, college, and privately in New York City. After having performed in New York and abroad, I started my So You Wanna Be A Singer series on Youtube in 2007 which has garnered 13,000 subscribers and over 4 million views. This series has inspired many young singers to pursue music as a full-time career or part-time vocation.  :wub: Very, very, VERY cool. 

Sample segments of So You Wanna Be A Singer (Why You Wanna Do That?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

This is really cool! 

The only thing is you don't want to lose my attention. You might try something as simple as breaking the block of text into smaller paragraphs because that one part is sort of "dry", but seems necessary. 

Good luck!  :biggrin:

#5 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

This is really cool! 

The only thing is you don't want to lose my attention. You might try something as simple as breaking the block of text into smaller paragraphs because that one part is sort of "dry", but seems necessary. 

Good luck!  :biggrin:

Thank you! I actually had this in 4 paragraphs and changed it due to the guidelines here on the website. I'll send this to a few more people and see what they think. 

Yes, it's been really inspiring to hear about people progressing in their careers and hopefully I've contributed a little to their success. Thanks again for taking out the time to help me straighten this out more. I'm learning as I go. 

Be Blessed

#6 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

Here's the 4th draft of my query. Onward and upward.

American Idol ran for fifteen seasons and drew tens of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities; and it's not the only one of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the world. The yearning of aspiring singers to turn their passion into their profession. My book, SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER (WHY YOU WANNA DO THAT?), attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a course of action to become a professional performer.

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER is targeted to benefit pre-teens and teens. This book is written to help young singers understand the many career opportunities available to them and how to best train for a future in show business. It will also aid their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career; showing them the many career choices available as a professional singer. 

SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER is meant to be an easy read, in under 25,000 words, that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation of singers to the business side of show business.

I am a full-time performer who started singing in church choir and went on to study music in high school, college, and privately in New York City. After having performed in New York and abroad, I started my So You Wanna Be A Singer series on Youtube in 2007 which has garnered 13,000 subscribers and over 4 million views. This series has inspired many young singers to pursue music as a full-time career or part-time vocation.

Sample segments of SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER (WHY YOU WANNA DO THAT?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

#7 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:23 PM

Here's the 4th draft of my query. Onward and upward.

American Idol ran for fifteen seasons and drew tens of thousands of aspiring singers to each of their audition cities; and it's not the only one of it's kind. Showtime At The Apollo, Star Search, X Factor, and many other shows have tapped into a yearning felt around the world. The yearning of aspiring singers to turn their passion into their profession. My book, SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER (WHY YOU WANNA DO THAT?), attempts to fill that yearning by presenting the reader with a course of action to become a professional performer.

Based on the popular YouTube series of the same name and the author's 25 years of ongoing professional performance experience, SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER is targeted to benefit pre-teens and teens. This book is written to help young singers understand the many career opportunities available to them and how to best train for a future in show business. It will also aid their parents, guardians, and mentors who may want to help them but also don't know the ins and outs of performance as a full-time career; showing them the many career choices available as a professional singer. 

SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER is meant to be an easy read, in under 25,000 words, that can be used as a reference guide. With anecdotes, ideas, and advice intended to spur the readers' own creative processes; it can be used throughout a performer's life to reinforce their resolve to pursue their passion as a career, and also to give them positive affirmation on their road to success. Think of it as Chicken Soup for the Singer's Soul. The first in a series of books to introduce the next generation of singers to the business side of show business.

Sample segments of SO YOU WANNA BE A SINGER (WHY YOU WANNA DO THAT?) are available upon your request by email. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

I feel you're perhaps misunderstanding some things about publishing.

-- You need a proposal for nonfiction, to go with the query.

-- Books (unless they're for ages about 8 and under) are not printed at a length of 25,000 words. The wordcount will cause people to simply autoreject this query.

#8 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

I'd recommend you go check out the Non-fiction and Memoir forum on this site: http://agentquerycon...ion-and-memoir/. It doesn't look like too many people have been posting there in a while, but you might get some nibbles if you have questions about how to publish non-fiction (I haven't paid too close attention because it hasn't been relevant to me, but I do know that Springfield is right that you need to have a proposal, and in fact I believe in general non-fiction books don't have completed manuscripts upon querying, because the agents might want to direct a little more on what they want you to focus on). But if nothing else, that forum has a couple pinned threads with resources and how-to, so you should definitely read up on those.

If you're really tapped out on the word count, I might also suggest looking into self-publishing. This is the sort of resource I could see people finding and buying on Amazon, and if you go that route the word count isn't likely to be a hindrance, as you're basically selling a glorified how-to pamphlet (I swear that is not meant as a negative connotation, in case you read it that way, I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it).

So unfortunately here I worry that the problem isn't so much the query as the content. Again, check out the forum, see if that helps. Weigh your options about what the best course is for your work. Good luck.

If you found my feedback useful, I'd appreciate yours: Ouroboros

#9 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

I feel you're perhaps misunderstanding some things about publishing.

-- You need a proposal for nonfiction, to go with the query.

-- Books (unless they're for ages about 8 and under) are not printed at a length of 25,000 words. The wordcount will cause people to simply autoreject this query.

Yes, I know I'll need a book proposal; but I also don't believe in absolutes. I have to try. This query is for an editor who likes my work and may be able to refer me to some people. I'm sure it's partially a test to gauge my commitment.

#10 ranton

ranton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

I'd recommend you go check out the Non-fiction and Memoir forum on this site: http://agentquerycon...ion-and-memoir/. It doesn't look like too many people have been posting there in a while, but you might get some nibbles if you have questions about how to publish non-fiction (I haven't paid too close attention because it hasn't been relevant to me, but I do know that Springfield is right that you need to have a proposal, and in fact I believe in general non-fiction books don't have completed manuscripts upon querying, because the agents might want to direct a little more on what they want you to focus on). But if nothing else, that forum has a couple pinned threads with resources and how-to, so you should definitely read up on those.

If you're really tapped out on the word count, I might also suggest looking into self-publishing. This is the sort of resource I could see people finding and buying on Amazon, and if you go that route the word count isn't likely to be a hindrance, as you're basically selling a glorified how-to pamphlet (I swear that is not meant as a negative connotation, in case you read it that way, I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it).

So unfortunately here I worry that the problem isn't so much the query as the content. Again, check out the forum, see if that helps. Weigh your options about what the best course is for your work. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I'll check that out and start reading up tomorrow. I wouldn't say that I'm tapped out because there are many topics I could cover; but I have a definite arc planned for a series. My idea is to start at the top publishers and do what I need to do to make it happen. If it doesn't work out, I'll work my down to wherever it will be most advantageous (university press or self-publishing). I appreciate the feedback. No worries. You have to start somewhere. 

#11 Springfield

Springfield

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

Yes, I know I'll need a book proposal; but I also don't believe in absolutes. I have to try. This query is for an editor who likes my work and may be able to refer me to some people. I'm sure it's partially a test to gauge my commitment.

Thank you so much. I'll check that out and start reading up tomorrow. I wouldn't say that I'm tapped out because there are many topics I could cover; but I have a definite arc planned for a series. My idea is to start at the top publishers and do what I need to do to make it happen. If it doesn't work out, I'll work my down to wherever it will be most advantageous (university press or self-publishing). I appreciate the feedback. No worries. You have to start somewhere. 

If you're willing to do what it takes, and have interest from an editor, why not wait, add more content, and pitch a full-length book? Houses simply don't publish at this length -- as above, it's a long pamphlet -- but if you've got a leg up, and are committed and have other topics, why not give yourself the best chance, by submitting something that has a shot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users