EmperorOfTheNorth

King of The Road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

At only 21 years of age, Vincenzo Il'Cazzo has been addicted to drugs and alcohol for more than half of his life. With a mere 30 days of sobriety under his belt he must come to terms with the reasons for his addiction or risk relapse; and relapse would mean incarceration until he is middle aged.
Go on and stamp your forms, sonny.

#2 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

I see that you've got goal, motivation & conflict, but I'm just not grabbed. I think it's because I don't understand why his relapse would mean incarceration. I'd also like to know why he's having a hard time accepting the reason for his addiction.

I know that's a lot to include in a hook, but I think it's important to know what Vincenzo's own situation is, as opposed to any generic addict's situation. Make me root for Vincenzo, not just an addict.

Best of luck!

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#3 EmperorOfTheNorth

EmperorOfTheNorth

King of The Road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

At only 21 years of age, Vincenzo Il'Cazzo, has been addicted to drugs and alcohol for more than half of his life. Fresh out of jail for assault, and thirty days sober, he must come to terms with his criminal past or risk relapse; and relapse would mean incarceration until he is middle aged.
Go on and stamp your forms, sonny.

#4 galian84

galian84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:26 PM

At only 21 years of age, Vincenzo Il'Cazzo, has been addicted to drugs and alcohol for more than half of his life. Fresh out of jail for assault, and thirty days sober, he must come to terms with his criminal past or risk relapse; and relapse would mean incarceration until he is middle aged.

I like this, motivation and conflict are clear. But the end of the hook sounds a little redundant, as you use the word "relapse" twice. If I may..."he must come to terms with his criminal past or risk relapse, which means incarceration until he's middle-aged", or something along those lines. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users