lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not yet!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Anyone going or has gone to the Midwest Writer's Conference in Indy at Ball State please let me know... I am pitching to Kathleen Ortiz and have a manuscript critique with JT Dutton!! Am scared and excited at meeting them, any pointers would be gladly appreciated!
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[*][sup][sub][s][spoiler]Lake Michigan[/spoiler][/s][/sub][/sup]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#2 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

I've been to several conferences and have always learned something new or made new connections and contacts. Here are a couple of general things to think about:

1. Pack so you can dress up or dress down. Bring both jeans and a nice pair of slacks, a comfy sweater and a blazer or sport coat. Definitely bring a tie in case you need it. Dress to match the crowd since some conferences tend to be a little more formal than others in this regard.

2. Part of dressing for success, so to speak, is presenting a professional demeanor. Be aware of your surroundings. It's fine to commiserate about the rejection you received from so-and-so while in a quiet corner of the bar, but it would be a very bad move to do so in a large group or in one of the panel sessions.

3. Read the conference website thouroughly. Know what is going on and prepare yourself to take advantage of it. These opportunities are few and far between. Prepare a personal conference itinerary of the sessions you want to attend and the events you want to take part in before you arrive on site, but don't be a slave to it.

4. Now if you are an introvert this next part might be difficult, but introduce yourself. You don't have to find all of the speakers and say "Hi I'm..." but think about how you might present yourself to someone in the buffet line, or how you might strike up a conversation with someone while shuffling in to a breakout room. Most of them are probably writers, so simply asking what they are writing about is always a good ice breaker but be willing to be the one to break that ice.

5. Business cards are a good idea. Exchanging them with fellow conference attendees is a good way to develop a network. Jot down something on the back of those you receive to help you remember the person when you get home.

Try to relax. Try to have some fun.

#3 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

Check out all speakers' sites as well. Then you can get a good idea of who you are talking to and interacting with.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#4 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Writers conferences are a lot like the internet. They offer a lot of useful information, but don't necessarily believe everything you hear.

Different folks pitch differently. I know some who know their first sentence and wing it from there. That doesn't work for me. I write out my pitch, practice it, edit it, and practice some more. I find that preparation is the best way to manage stage fright. But your mileage may vary.

I think the best part about writer's conferences is simply meeting other writers. Ours is such a solitary craft that meeting others suffering through the same problems is always worthwhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users