zoeymobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

Hello!

I'm looking for a critique partner for my YA romance novel. I am willing to critique most genres, though I'd prefer YA as it's what I read most, and have the most experience with.

My own novel is in it's third draft, though this is the first time I'm sharing it with critique partners. I'm mainly looking for critique of plot, characterization, and big-picture stuff currently, as I'm trying to solidify those things before moving into line-by-line revisions.

Here is the blurb:

Seventeen-year-old Caroline Moore’s is a popular vlogger. Between school, work, and trying not to crush on her best friend, Lauren Gill, she doesn’t need any more projects. She does, however, need two more community service hours by the end of the school year to graduate.

When Caroline’s favorite teacher offers the class a volunteer opportunity to work on their new school library, she volunteers, unknowingly getting herself into months of work.

It doesn’t help that her ex-girlfriend, who she dated on-and-off for two years, is one of the three other volunteers. Or that Laurie is volunteering, too.

If interested, please comment below or send a PM with a short summary of your own book!

#2 pigeononthemoon

pigeononthemoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

Yay!! LGBT! Mine is an adult romance although it's about an 18 year-old and a 19 year-old. It has explicit sexual content, so if that's not your thing, I understand. But here's my summary in case you're open to it:

Will Cunningham is blindfolded for the best kiss of his life. Now he’s on the hunt for the soul-shaking mystery prince, and his new friend Ansel has agreed to lend Will his million-dollar wardrobe to catch the unknown boy’s attention.

Cian Zyrnes is Will’s first love from high school – and his first hate. Will believes Cian feigned a crush on him as a hurtful prank, and then ensured Will’s grudge was eternalized by outing him to Will’s homophobic mother. Cian believes Will rejected him after he got down on one knee in a public love confession. Now that they’re reunited in college, he’s determined to get a second chance. But when he sees Will wearing Ansel’s clothes, he concludes his first love and his best friend must be dating.

Misunderstandings abound between the two, but they have bigger problems to solve: Ansel’s father is selling their favorite LGBT dance club. To save Licentious, they need to attract buyers, and that starts with spreading awareness through a sexy charity calendar. Will’s penchant for crossdressing makes him the perfect model, while Cian is happy to build his photography portfolio. For the photoshoots to work, though, Will needs to show Cian his old scars, forcing him to confront a past he doesn’t think he’s strong enough to face. 

Feel free to PM if you're interested!

#3 zoeymobley

zoeymobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

Yay!! LGBT! Mine is an adult romance although it's about an 18 year-old and a 19 year-old. It has explicit sexual content, so if that's not your thing, I understand. But here's my summary in case you're open to it:

Will Cunningham is blindfolded for the best kiss of his life. Now he’s on the hunt for the soul-shaking mystery prince, and his new friend Ansel has agreed to lend Will his million-dollar wardrobe to catch the unknown boy’s attention.

Cian Zyrnes is Will’s first love from high school – and his first hate. Will believes Cian feigned a crush on him as a hurtful prank, and then ensured Will’s grudge was eternalized by outing him to Will’s homophobic mother. Cian believes Will rejected him after he got down on one knee in a public love confession. Now that they’re reunited in college, he’s determined to get a second chance. But when he sees Will wearing Ansel’s clothes, he concludes his first love and his best friend must be dating.

Misunderstandings abound between the two, but they have bigger problems to solve: Ansel’s father is selling their favorite LGBT dance club. To save Licentious, they need to attract buyers, and that starts with spreading awareness through a sexy charity calendar. Will’s penchant for crossdressing makes him the perfect model, while Cian is happy to build his photography portfolio. For the photoshoots to work, though, Will needs to show Cian his old scars, forcing him to confront a past he doesn’t think he’s strong enough to face. 

Feel free to PM if you're interested!

Hey! I actually recognize your summary from you contacting me on the nanowrimo forums, haha. I think we decided it'd be too explicit for my tastes, but good luck finding CPs!

#4 pigeononthemoon

pigeononthemoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

*face palm* I thought your story sounded familiar! It must seem like I spam the whole Internet, but I've only reached out to like 5 people, ha!

Good luck!

#5 zoeymobley

zoeymobley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

*face palm* I thought your story sounded familiar! It must seem like I spam the whole Internet, but I've only reached out to like 5 people, ha!

Good luck!

You're fine, lol! Thank you :)

#6 karineumeyer

karineumeyer

Kari Neumeyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Independently published a memoir, Bark and Lunge: Saving My Dog from Training Mistakes, which won three national awards in 2015: the National Indie Excellence Award and associated Sponsor’s Choice Award, a Readers’ Favorite Gold Medal, and a USA Best Book Award.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I'd be interested in swapping with either of you. Mine is in the in-between Young Adult-Adult zone, with a 20-year-old protagonist. A little bit of sex; not explicit.

FIGHT LIKE A LADY (80,000 words): Twenty-year-old Vicky graduated from college early and doesn’t know what she wants to be when she grows up. She’s still living at home with her dad and sister, watching The People’s Court when she should be looking for a job. She’s angry and antisocial.

She discovers she has a natural gift for mixed martial arts, but worries her violent past will come back to haunt her. Instead, fighting calms the anxiety she’s felt since her mother died. When she and her trainer Eddy learn that a classmate is involved in dogfighting, they are compelled to save the dogs from being killed. By falling in love—first with the dogs, then with Eddy—Vicky finds her path and learns that violent acts can be forgiven.

Let me know!

Kari

#7 yawriter

yawriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

Hello!  

I am in the same in between zone. After some research, I figured out that a book only qualifies as a YA if the main characters are in their teens. Otherwise, it's considered adult. But, I get when it gets complicated because the content is more explicit, but they're teenagers...a lot of teenagers are more mature than adults. Hope this helped!! Happy writing.

#8 Mint

Mint

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

I really love the sound of your novel!! Do you still need a partner? 

My story is about 17 year old Tangg dealing with PTSD and the fact that all his friends are graduating high school without him. There's also a little bit of romance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users