#1 KernelPopNFresh

KernelPopNFresh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

Hello all, sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here.  I've been checking out a lot of agencies recently, and have noticed a fair bit of them want a query letter and a sample of the writing, whether it be the first ten pages or the first fifty pages.  What I'm wondering is, does the agent actually ready those sample pages, even if the query doesn't appeal to them? Or do they read the query, think "pass" and go onto the next email?

#2 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

It really depends on the agent. From interviews and Tweets I've seen, some agents read the query until they lose interest. Then they reject/delete. Some read the sample pages first, then go to the query. Some skim over everything and if they like what they see, they read deeper.

Each agent is unique. You can ask them on Twitter when they open #AskAgent slots, or read their blogs (Suzie Townsend's Tumblr is full of Q&A).

Regardless, you want everything to be in the best shape possible. 

#3 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

You can't know what an agent reads/doesn't read. I think a lot of agents don't even read the query all the way through. They basically read until they encounter something they don't like/makes them lose interest. Then they stop. You should always include everything they request, but in most cases they probably won't read it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users