#1 NicoleLeigh

NicoleLeigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

It feels a little surreal to be posting this, but here is the query letter that hooked my agent! This is actually the second manuscript I've completed and queried. I decided to let go of the first ms after I'd queried about 60-70 agents. (I'd gotten one or two full requests and a handful of partials, but no real interest.) As I was querying my first ms, I was working on this project, and when I'd finished with this one, I put the first one away and started querying my new project.

The agent I signed with is actually the very first agent I queried. That said, I queried her first because she had liked one of my #PitMad pitches on Twitter. (I guess those things actually do work!) It was about 2 months from the time I sent out my first query (to my now agent) to when I accepted her offer. In that time, I queried 24 people total. I received 8 requests total (2 partials and 6 fulls), which was obviously much better than my first attempt at querying! 

This site was incredibly helpful with writing this (along with Query Shark), so I hope this will help someone else still in the trenches. :) Don't give up!

---QUERY---

Dear [Agent],

[Reason why I am querying, specific to agent]. Complete at just over 75,000 words, THE HOUSE IN THE TREES is a cross between Jodi Picoult’s subject matter (think PERFECT MATCH) and Liane Moriarty’s tone (for example, as in WHAT ALICE FORGOT).

Meredith Bowman’s very ex-husband is trying to steal her son. Well, he’s technically trying to win sole custody of seven-year-old Henry, but he’s certainly fighting dirty to get his way. For example, he’s acting as if Meredith is the bad guy, as if Henry’s poor marks in English class are somehow a cry for help. But her son’s disinterest in grammar surely isn’t because of her—at least, she hopes it isn’t.

As the battle for Henry’s custody wages on, Meredith struggles to balance her growing self-doubt as a mother with her ferocious desire to keep her son. Yet, Meredith never suspects that the biggest threat to Henry’s well-being might be teaching him English from Meredith’s dining room chair. Henry’s nineteen-year-old summer tutor, Wynn, secretly suffers from depression and plans on ending the summer with the one thing that will end it all for her permanently. But when Wynn’s plan goes astray, endangering Henry instead of herself, custody suddenly becomes the least of Meredith’s concerns. Now, the only thing that matters is saving her son’s life.

THE HOUSE IN THE TREES is upmarket fiction told from four points of view—Meredith’s, Henry’s, Wynn’s, and Wynn’s father’s.

[Personal bio.]

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,

Nicole

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Congrats!! :)

I love dogs

#3 NicoleLeigh

NicoleLeigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:55 AM

Congrats!! :)

thanks!  :smile:

#4 AmberA

AmberA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

That's exciting  :biggrin:  Congratsssss!

Would appreciate critiques on my YA- VENGEANCE query: http://agentquerycon...edits/?p=352035

#5 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

Congrats! \o/

#6 NicoleLeigh

NicoleLeigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:44 AM

That's exciting  :biggrin:  Congratsssss!

Congrats! \o/

Thank you both!!!

#7 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Congratulations!!

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

#8 Christine Michael

Christine Michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am unpublished. This is my first book.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

Congratulations, how exciting for you. I hope I can enjoy your same feeling some day.  I just posted my query letter today  - my first time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Womens Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users