DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

When querying an agent, is at absolutely necessary to put a personalized sentence or two in there? I'm planning to query agents that are looking for genre-blending/genre-bending or "weird" manuscripts. 

For example: I am seeking representation for my novel [INSERT TITLE HERE], a [INSERT GENRE HERE].  Given your expressed interest in genre-blending stories (or some other small, personalized statement) I thought it might be a good fit for you.

I don't know if putting this in here helps, or just makes me look like a huge putz.  To me, it always looks better when I leave it out.

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Not necessary.

I remember reading a couple interviews from agents who don't want personalized lines (they want to go straight to the query). Others require a line about "why you're querying me" in the query format, or in their query forms.

Your personalized sentence works, as it's not "I'm querying you because you represent fantasy/sci-fi/etc." That's redundant. You'll want to go beyond the generic. Genre-blending might be something mentioned in a #MSWL or on a blog, so that'll show that you're doing research.

It's up to you.

I love dogs

#3 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

Some agents specifically request that you indicate why you are querying them, but most agents don't require it. I've actually received more requests from queries that were not personalized. My philosophy is personalize if you can, but if not then not a big deal. I would also recommend putting the personalization at the end of your query so you don't front load it with a bunch of info that might make the agent less likely to read it.

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

Thank you so much for the replies :) I think I will not put a personalization in unless specially requested. I was not blessed with the business and professional side of writing, so the less-is-more approach will probably be best for my queries.

#5 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I haven't personalized any. I've considered a couple times, but most of the time it feels a little like pandering to me. I suppose it can show you've done your research on the agent and are not just randomly querying them, but on the other hand, if you're querying them because you saw they liked "fast-paced sci-fi with a focus on relationships between characters", or whatever thing it is, then you should find a way to show in your query that that's the story you've written. Still goes with the show, don't tell axiom.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#6 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

The Query Shark says to not waste time with personalization (http://queryshark.blogspot.com/). I always feel uncomfortable when trying to personalize a query because I feel like it should be obvious that I want to work with them because I'm querying them. But there are some agents out there who say they want to know exactly why you are querying them. They want a specific sentence about why you should work together. Those requests always make me a little nervous. 

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users