#1 laurenwalker

laurenwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 20 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

The dreaded synopsis! I struggled a bit with this as my novel is written bouncing between the past and the present but felt chronological order was best for the synopsis. Any feedback would be appreciated!

KENNEDY is wild, strong-willed, loyal, and talented, and as lead singer of emerging rock band, Tracing Stars, she has the swagger of a badass. Years ago, set on the safe path defined by her sweet, single mother, pursuing a career in music seemed a fantasy. Then she picked up the bottle. With the warm, liquid courage flowing through her, she was able to unleash her true-self and admit her dreams of ditching college to focus on her band. Now she’s living it up on tour–partying, drinking, and doing whatever the hell she wants. Even when she blacks out, she doesn’t mind. That’s what rock stars do. 

When she starts a fling with RICKLY, the reserved except when he parties lead singer of opening band, Sheltered, they seem a perfect, toxic match. Saturated in drugs and alcohol, they fight, fool around, repeat. After Kennedy’s band manager, SAMANTHA, announces their tour is continuing to Canada without Sheltered, their fights intensify. After getting caught up in a drunken game of who-can-flirt-with-more-fans, they realize their jealousy stems from feelings deeper than lust. Perhaps even love. To give their relationship a real chance, they decide to scale back their partying. Unfortunately, Kennedy’s blackouts inexplicably escalate despite being more sober. The terrifying sensation of coming to at odd times and the sudden mistrust of her tour mates spirals her into a dark abyss of paranoia that leads to her committal at a psychiatric hospital. 

Now in the asylum, Kennedy believes Rickly intentionally caused her demise, but she lacks any evidence. With her shrink, CRAIG, convinced it’s all in her head, she refuses to cooperate with treatment. But when two of her bandmates visit with news the band is continuing on with their keyboardist and their guitarist, DAVEY, taking over lyrics and vocals, her tough exterior cracks. She realizes she must take her time in the asylum seriously if she has any hope of reuniting with her band.

She diligently dives into her therapy, but after a few scares, Kennedy believes someone is back messing with her and hits a wall. Unsure how to get her back on track, her mother brings in Kennedy’s estranged father who has a similar, blackout-filled history. Together with his and Craig’s help, and the support of several patients, Kennedy begins unraveling the startling truths of the past. How her repressed memories date back as far as childhood after her father left. How Rickly wasn’t the only one suspiciously nearby every time she blacked out on tour.

Discovering Kennedy is close to answers and her subsequent discharge, her true assailants, Samantha and Davey, appear and reveal their end-game: to get Kennedy permanently out of the band so Davey can take over as lead singer, and Samantha can manage the next big rock band. They’ve been slipping her drugs to make her blackout and now they plan to give her a dose large enough to incapacitate her indefinitely. Rickly was simply their scapegoat. Rickly, having uncovered Samantha’s involvement arrives to protect Kennedy, but Samantha and Davey manage to wrestle some meds into him. Samantha then drugs outnumbered Kennedy, landing her and Rickly in the hospital. Having been only partially successful at the asylum, Samantha comes back to finish the job, but this time Rickly knocks her out before she can harm Kennedy. Their attack, coupled with evidence of falsified prescriptions, lands them in jail.

Months later, Kennedy is nearing the end of her recovery. She has a new self-awareness from her continued out-patient therapy. She has strengthened her relationships with the rest of the band, Rickly, and her father. Playing her first show since being released, she has a greater appreciation for who she is and the life she has built and she doesn’t plan to waste another moment of it. 

#2 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:You go Glen Coco

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

The dreaded synopsis! I struggled a bit with this as my novel is written bouncing between the past and the present but felt chronological order was best for the synopsis. Any feedback would be appreciated!

KENNEDY is wild, strong-willed, loyal, and talented, and as lead singer of emerging rock band, Tracing Stars, she has the swagger of a badass. (There are a lot of descriptor words here.  Is there a way you could use two more precise words instead of four? It would make the sentence less clunky.) Years ago, set on the safe path defined by her sweet, single mother, pursuing a career in music seemed a fantasy. Then she picked up the bottle. With the warm, liquid courage flowing through her, she was able to unleash her true-self true self and admit her dreams of ditching college to focus on her band. Now she’s living it up on tour–partying, drinking, and doing whatever the hell she wants. Even when she blacks out, she doesn’t mind. That’s what rock stars do. (True dat.) 

When she starts a fling with RICKLY, the reserved except when he parties lead singer (reserved-except-when-he-parties lead singer) of opening band, Sheltered, they seem a perfect, toxic match. Saturated in drugs and alcohol, they fight, fool around, repeat. After Kennedy’s band manager, SAMANTHA, announces their tour is continuing to Canada without Sheltered, their fights intensify. After getting caught up in a drunken game of who-can-flirt-with-more-fans, they realize their jealousy stems from feelings deeper than lust. Perhaps even love. (Sentence fragment) To give their relationship a real chance, they decide to scale back their partying. Unfortunately, Kennedy’s blackouts inexplicably escalate despite being more sober this. The terrifying sensation of coming to at odd times and the sudden mistrust of her tour mates spirals her into a dark abyss of paranoia that leads to her committal at a psychiatric hospital. 

Now in the asylum, Kennedy believes Rickly intentionally caused her demise, but she lacks any evidence. With her shrink, CRAIG, convinced it’s all in her head, she refuses to cooperate with treatment. But when two of her bandmates visit with news the band is continuing on with their keyboardist and their guitarist (is it necessary to the synopsis to state he's both? it makes the sentence a little long), DAVEY, taking over lyrics and vocals, her tough exterior cracks. She realizes she must take her time in the asylum seriously if she has any hope of reuniting with her band.

She diligently dives into her therapy, but after a few scares, Kennedy believes someone is back messing with her and hits a wall. Unsure how to get her back on track, her mother brings in Kennedy’s estranged father who has a similar, blackout-filled history. Together with his and Craig’s help, and the support of several patients, Kennedy begins unraveling the startling truths of the past. How her repressed memories date back as far as childhood after her father left. How Rickly wasn’t the only one suspiciously nearby every time she blacked out on tour. (There is something off with these last two sentences but I can't put my finger on it.)

Discovering Kennedy is close to answers and her subsequent discharge, her true assailants, Samantha and Davey, appear and reveal their end-game: to get Kennedy permanently out of the band so Davey can take over as lead singer, and Samantha can manage the next big rock band. (Those bitches!) They’ve been slipping her drugs to make her blackout and now they plan to give her a dose large enough to incapacitate her indefinitely. Rickly was simply their scapegoat. Rickly, having uncovered Samantha’s involvement arrives to protect Kennedy, but Samantha and Davey manage to wrestle some meds into him. Samantha then drugs outnumbered Kennedy, landing her and Rickly in the hospital. Having been only partially successful at the asylum, Samantha comes back to finish the job, but this time Rickly knocks her out before she can harm Kennedy. Their attack, coupled with evidence of falsified prescriptions, lands them in jail.

Months later, Kennedy is nearing the end of her recovery. She has a new self-awareness from her continued out-patient therapy. She has strengthened her relationships with the rest of the band, Rickly, and her father. Playing her first show since being released, she has a greater appreciation for who she is and the life she has built and she doesn’t plan to waste another moment of it. 

I want to read this story now.  A thriller, mixed with humour? Yes please!

I think this synopsis was very well written.  I wasn't ever lost reading it.  There were just a couple too-long sentences and some that needed polishing, but overall, well done!

#3 laurenwalker

laurenwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

I want to read this story now.  A thriller, mixed with humour? Yes please!

I think this synopsis was very well written.  I wasn't ever lost reading it.  There were just a couple too-long sentences and some that needed polishing, but overall, well done!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the help and positive feedback. I hope it gets published so you can read it too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Thrillers/Suspense, Mystery, New Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users