#1 gailbrown73

gailbrown73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

I received my MFA recently and finished Volume I of my novel, and the next steps allude me and it is a bit scary.  Any advice?

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

If you've completed your MFA, I imagine you've developed a thick skin for critiques and rejections, so you've got a good foundation. :)

The querying process is daunting if you look at it overall. But if you break it down to query letters, synopses, sample pages, it becomes more manageable.

It also helps if you have a friend--online or offline. Just having somebody's support can help a lot. :)

I love dogs

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

Volume 1?  How big a volume?  Is there a complete story in this volume or are you trying to sell a series with an incomplete story?  I would be pretty intimidated if my "Volume 1" had volume but I hadn't finished the story yet.

I don't mean that sound antagonistic.  There's a great deal here.  There's a community of support.  Browse the forums.  Learn how to write a hook and write one.  Develop a query.  I discovered that trying to write a query made me rewrite my novel and it became a better story.

Welcome to our community...

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,685 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

I second what Nessa said.

I recommend you dig around through this site. You'll find countless conversations like this one about how daunting the process can be, but you'll also find innumerable examples of writers helping writers through the process.

This site has survived because of the community of writers here; we're not trying to compete with each other or knock anyone else down. We try to help one another along the path we've chosen. Welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users