#1 Holly Poe

Holly Poe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

I have been querying a MS off and on for about 6 months and have gotten some reasonably positive responses including a full, a partial and critiques from a few agents. I took all this into consideration and decided to do a major rewrite. I'm also changing my MCs name and the working title.

I also think my query letter didn't work well so I'm rewriting that, too. Do I need to mention that this is a rewrite? And, can I send this to agents I have already queried who have rejected me?

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I don't see there being any reason to mention that this is a rewrite. Agents are going to assume that you have done everything you can to polish up your manuscript, and that might include significant rewrites. If you get The Call, then maybe one of the things they might discuss with you is the genesis of your story and how things evolved, but for your query you have more important things to talk about.

As far as requerying an agent, I think that has to be based on the agent. Some of them might say on their website that you are allowed to requery after significant revisions, but most are probably not interested. If one did reject you but does allow requerying, then that would be the one spot where you might mention that you've made revisions, in particular if they were one who had shown interest before. But this really is a case-by-case issue, I think.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:03 PM

What are you rewriting? (subplots, main plot, characters, etc.)

I love dogs

#4 Holly Poe

Holly Poe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

My rewrites included the removal of a B story that slowed the story down a lot. And my voice was a little too mature for the reader age so I changed it                                     

#5 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 27 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

That sounds significant enough. I suggest waiting at least 6 months before requerying agents.

I love dogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users