#1 bluejunemoon

bluejunemoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:52 AM

Hi everyone! So I have a couple questions that may or may not boil down to one. 

My novel features two POVs (the MC and MC's sister), but the MC obviously gets more time and narrating chapters, and the sister mostly narrates one of the subplots. Do I need to describe both of their stories in the query, or should I focus on the main story? 

Perhaps more generally, how much should I talk about subplots in the query? 

Thank you! 

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Generally, unless the subplot is super entwined into the main plot, it's advisable to leave them out of the query. Otherwise things just become cluttered. Agents understand that not everything is included in the query; if everything was, you'd either have a pretty weak book or a ridiculously impractical query. So focus on telling the most important bits of your story, which for you sounds like the main plotline involving your MC. People with multiple MCs will often include a line at the end of the ilk of "Furies of Calderon is a XXX-word fantasy with a rotating POV", so that when agents look at pages, they can expect to see more than just the MC's chapters, but they still focus the query on one character. Some people have it tough in that they literally have two or more MCs, but you specifically describe an MC and then the sister as just a second POV, so I say you just focus the query on the MC and maybe make that note at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users