Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

THE CODEX OF DESIRE (Science Fiction), will reciprocate critiques

Best Answer Laurie E. Smith , 12 February 2018 - 02:07 PM

Folks, you won't believe the query letter crit I just received from a literary agent... because I hardly believe it myself. It looks like my hard work has actually paid off!

The agent, who was kind enough to get back to me within the same day, said: "I think it is excellent. I read 40-50 queries a day and yours caught my attention. I like the opening sentence, it makes the reader think “what???” and compels them to keep reading. It is clear and to the point and you get the gist of the story. Great premise BTW, very cool. I don’t rep science fiction books but if I did I would be asking for the full. Do you have some agents in mind to query?"

And she then proceeded to send me the contact info for three agents to query, including one at Harvey Klinger Inc. WOW, she is TOTALLY AWESOME!

GUYS, I AM DANCING AROUND MY HOME STUDIO! I couldn't have asked for much better than that, now could I? :D My happiness is off the charts! And now I feel confident putting the query letter to one side and continuing to work on my synopsis and Twitter pitches.
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Laurie E. Smith

Laurie E. Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have been a professional in the comics industry (as a colourist and line art reconstructionist) for 23 years. In terms of writing, I had a short story ("Like Ants to Honey") published in the "Far Horizons" e-mag (Issue #2, May 2014); I've also posted over 1.23 million words of fan fiction on Archive of Our Own, with with a total of 614473 individual hits, 29416 kudos, and 3919 reader bookmarks.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:37 AM

Checking my FB notifications this morning, I saw that a literary agent has very kindly offered to take a look at my query letter and offer some expert opinions. I won't name them here since I don't have their permission, but their assistance is SO greatly appreciated! I look forward to receiving a perceptive and pertinent crit to add to the many perceptive and pertinent crits already received here. :)

#62 Laurie E. Smith

Laurie E. Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have been a professional in the comics industry (as a colourist and line art reconstructionist) for 23 years. In terms of writing, I had a short story ("Like Ants to Honey") published in the "Far Horizons" e-mag (Issue #2, May 2014); I've also posted over 1.23 million words of fan fiction on Archive of Our Own, with with a total of 614473 individual hits, 29416 kudos, and 3919 reader bookmarks.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:07 PM   Best Answer

Folks, you won't believe the query letter crit I just received from a literary agent... because I hardly believe it myself. It looks like my hard work has actually paid off!

The agent, who was kind enough to get back to me within the same day, said: "I think it is excellent. I read 40-50 queries a day and yours caught my attention. I like the opening sentence, it makes the reader think “what???” and compels them to keep reading. It is clear and to the point and you get the gist of the story. Great premise BTW, very cool. I don’t rep science fiction books but if I did I would be asking for the full. Do you have some agents in mind to query?"

And she then proceeded to send me the contact info for three agents to query, including one at Harvey Klinger Inc. WOW, she is TOTALLY AWESOME!

GUYS, I AM DANCING AROUND MY HOME STUDIO! I couldn't have asked for much better than that, now could I? :D My happiness is off the charts! And now I feel confident putting the query letter to one side and continuing to work on my synopsis and Twitter pitches.

#63 galian84

galian84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:28 PM

Great news, Laurie! Best of luck in your publishing journey!!

#64 Laurie E. Smith

Laurie E. Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

Great news, Laurie! Best of luck in your publishing journey!!

Thank you, gallan84! :)

And a thousand thanks to everybody who has commented on this thread -- your honest crits helped me get to the point where a literary agent thinks my query letter is excellent. That's a HUGE journey, and you all played a part. Best wishes to everyone -- and don't give up on revising your queries, it WILL be worth it in the end!

#65 Arait

Arait

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

Congratulations!

#66 Wayfarer

Wayfarer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Congratulations on the engagement, hopefully it turns into an offer before long!

#67 PureZhar3

PureZhar3

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Yes, this is amazing! Best of luck on all of that. I read your final query and it sounds fantastic. Great job!!

If you have time, I'd appreciate it if you took a look at my query: http://agentquerycon...-realismsci-fi/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users