Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS - YA Fantasy (REVISION IN #10)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

NEW VERSION IN #10

Hi! I've been working on this query for awhile now, and am hoping it's starting to resemble something coherent. Any comments/critiques would be appreciated!

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But that confidence is severely undermined when she happens upon the scene of an accident and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and ends up accused of murder. After fleeing to the muddy, outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous at best. The only thing which might give her some peace is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying.

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old Elowis, is determined to secure her a pardon. Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard, but nothing’s more important than family. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

Told in duel point of view, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS is a YA fantasy set in a world without magic. It is complete at 75,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

#2 PureZhar3

PureZhar3

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

Hi! I've been working on this query for awhile now, and am hoping it's starting to resemble something coherent. Any comments/critiques would be appreciated!

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much ​Be careful slipping into a narrator's voice too quickly. But that confidence is severely undermined when she happens upon the scene of an accident ​what accident? and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and ends up accused of murder. After fleeing to the muddy, outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous at best ​why is it nebulous?. The only thing which might give her some peace ​is her internal peace the only thing at stake her? If you mean, get people to stop trying to arrest her, say that clearly is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying. ​I haven't read your book, but this feels like a strong, turn-off exaggeration. Yes, a lot is at stake, but she has a lot of options besides dying

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old Elowis, is determined to secure her a pardon. Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard ​what? this is the first indication I get that this is set in a fantasy/not contemporary or Earth world, but nothing’s more important than family. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. ​I thought she was going to die trying to find the answers? And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she ​Mari? becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely. ​interesting...

Told in duel point of view, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS is a YA fantasy set in a world without magic ​this is intriguing but also really confusing. It is complete at 75,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

​So, overall this sounds interesting, but you need to be more specific. First of all, I'm having a really really hard time understanding what kind of world this is. And second, you need to delve more into the specifics of the plot a bit. This is often just a matter of replacing vague nouns (accident) with specific ones (fire). And then answering the questions that being specific introduces (because suddenly everyone is asking new questions - who started the fire? How did she save them? etc.) Good luck!

If you have time, I'd appreciate it if you took a look at my query: http://agentquerycon...-realismsci-fi/

#3 TeaTime

TeaTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:26 PM

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, "thank you very much" (Yeah, this feels just a tad too much). But that confidence is severely undermined when she happens upon the scene of an accident and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others (Interesting post-decision dilemma) – and ends up accused of murder. After fleeing to the muddy, outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt (Since this is a Fantasy book, I think you need to introduce this world/setting sooner. Because so far all of this can easily be assumed into a normal world story/setting), she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous at best (Unfortunately, the details of this accident in this query are too nebulous--if there's anything unusual about it, or especially suspicious, those should come out in the query). The only thing which might give her some peace is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying. (What is life-threatening for her? Is it the authorities that are near the scene of the accident that she feels compelled to investigate?)

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old (Might just say older? Or re-introduce her as the overbearing older sister?) Elowis, is determined to secure her a pardon. Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard, but nothing’s more important than family (Maybe instead of a common platitude, make it more personal to El--she's overbearing, but family is everything to her? Or something like that?). Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon (Maybe clarify that a pardon means she accepts the murder/manslaughter charge, but doesn't get punished for it?). And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

Told in duel point of view, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS is a YA fantasy set in a world without magic. It is complete at 75,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I agree with PureZhar3 that the reader of this query needs to be grounded in exactly what kind of world this is much sooner. Other than that, I think it's just a matter of clarifying the query's conflicts (especially at least a smidge more about the accident). Good luck  :smile:

Feel Free to Check Out My Current Query Letter Here, Thank You

#4 Laurie E. Smith

Laurie E. Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have been a professional in the comics industry (as a colourist and line art reconstructionist) for 23 years. In terms of writing, I had a short story ("Like Ants to Honey") published in the "Far Horizons" e-mag (Issue #2, May 2014); I've also posted over 1.23 million words of fan fiction on Archive of Our Own, with with a total of 614473 individual hits, 29416 kudos, and 3919 reader bookmarks.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. [This is a very general statement -- WHAT expectations? HOW is her sister overbearing? And there's no "hook" here to grab the reader's attention.] She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. [I actually like the hint of character voice in this sentence, but again, it's very general and not intriguing.] But that confidence is severely undermined when she happens upon the scene of an accident and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and ends up accused of murder. After fleeing to the muddy, outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous at best. The only thing which might give her some peace is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying. [Why "die trying'? Is she being threatened by somebody? I'd be much more interested in hearing about that, instead of all the stuff I've struck out. :) ]

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old Elowis, is determined to secure her a pardon. Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard, but nothing’s more important than family. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely. [Now I REALLY want to hear more about this threat, that's where the emotional tension would lie in my opinion. You could possibly summarize something like this "Sixteen-year-old Mari endures the usual annoyances of a teenager's life -- adult expectations, an overbearing older sisteer -- until a traffic accident turns her world upside-down. In order to save six people, she must sacrifice two others. She winds up accused of murder, and must flee to the outlaw-infested Marsh Belt to escape arrest. She can't escape her doubts, however, nor the conviction that there was more to the accident than meets the eye. With the help of her sister Elowis, who is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, she plunges into the mystery and faces [THE BIG THREAT, EXPLAINED]." :) ]

I think you have some cool ideas here, the query just needs some clarification and punching up. Keep at it! And best of luck to you. :)

#5 ajvan

ajvan

AJ Vanderhorst

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story, Leviathan's Hook, was published in the Midnight Times literary journal.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hi Nikita, congrats on finishing your ms!

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. Whose expectations? Inquiring minds want to know. She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But that confidence is severely undermined (crushed? destroyed? crippled?) when she happens upon the scene of an accident and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and ends up accused of murder. Can you make that sentence more succinct and specific? "saves six people from a burning car at the expense of two others..." After fleeing to the muddy, (Marsh Belt implies this) outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. (Or maybe something worse. Nightmares? Crippling self-doubt? Mere doubt doesn't seem enough.) It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous at best. The only thing which might give her some peace is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying. Try and make this less vague and more specific. It seems like an important catalyst, but as readers, we still have no idea what actually happened. 

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old Elowis, (Is this the overbearing one? Since we don't know her name from above, you might just want to say "older sister.") is determined to secure her a pardon. Uh oh...didn't realize she needed a pardon. Did she break laws then? Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard, but nothing’s more important than family. Not really following the Queen's guard part. Also, it seems like you just switched POV to the older sister. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely. Is this a dual POV novel then? Aha, it is! You might want to consider putting the genre and info up front. Either that or add some kind of verbal cue that the perspective is changing halfway through the query. 

Told in duel (dual, unless there's a lot of sword and pistol-fighting :) point of view, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS is a YA fantasy set in a world without magic. It is complete at 75,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration.

I've got a query up as well if you'd like to return the favor.

#6 TheBest

TheBest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've just finished my first young and new adult Sci-fi novel, which I'm very proud of, and eager to get published. I've written two plays and a novella, self-published online.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Dear Agent,

(Personalized intro)

Expectations (Might be best to elaborate on this) and an overbearing older sister are the bane of sixteen-year-old Mari’s existence. She’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But that confidence is severely undermined (Wrong word. Maybe "obliterated" or "destroyed.") when she happens upon the scene of an accident and makes a split-second decision to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and ends up accused of murder. (Great voice.) After fleeing to the muddy, outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, she’s plagued with doubt over her decision. It certainly doesn’t help that the circumstances surrounding the accident are nebulous murky/muddy at best. The only thing which might give her some peace is digging into what happened, and finding the facts to justify her actions. It’s that, or die trying. (Too long, cut this paragraph down.)

Mari’s sister, seventeen-year-old Elowis, is determined to secure her a pardon. Sure, El will have to give up her own comfortably predictable life to join Mari in the Marsh Belt as a spy for the Queen’s guard, but nothing’s more important than family. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. (This is really, really interesting) And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely. (Great!)

This is a really interesting story. I think your query would benefit from being split up, especially in the first paragraph. Have 3 strong, mid sized paragraphs instead of 2 longs ones. Plus, some of your word choices aren't extreme enough. Lastly, it might be best to elaborate on some of the "expectations" in the opening sentence, as agents love specifics. Good luck!

#7 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:58 PM

Thanks all! You've given me some great specifics to help improve this, and I appreciate the help!

#8 Laurie E. Smith

Laurie E. Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have been a professional in the comics industry (as a colourist and line art reconstructionist) for 23 years. In terms of writing, I had a short story ("Like Ants to Honey") published in the "Far Horizons" e-mag (Issue #2, May 2014); I've also posted over 1.23 million words of fan fiction on Archive of Our Own, with with a total of 614473 individual hits, 29416 kudos, and 3919 reader bookmarks.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Thanks all! You've given me some great specifics to help improve this, and I appreciate the help!

You're very welcome! :) Will you be posting a revised query letter? I look forward to seeing the improvements!

#9 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

You're very welcome! :) Will you be posting a revised query letter? I look forward to seeing the improvements!

I tend to take awhile with revisions just to let ideas percolate, but I do plan to post an updated query eventually! It just might be a little while...

#10 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:13 AM

Alright, here is a revised version. I like this one better, but I'm also worried that it's getting a tiny bit too long. I appreciate any comments!

Dear Agent,

Based on your interest in __, I think my YA fantasy, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS, might be a good fit. The story is told in alternating POV and is complete at 75,000 words.

No matter what her low school marks or overbearing older sister have to say, sixteen-year-old Mari is sure she’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But it only takes one moment to shatter that confidence. One moment, where Mari makes a split-second decision to divert a runaway cart in order to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and finds herself accused of murder.

After fleeing to the outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, Mari’s plagued with doubt. Maybe stepping in was the wrong decision. Maybe the deaths are her fault. And if her memory of the Queen’s guard darting away from the cart just before its wild descent is correct, maybe the runaway cart wasn’t an accident at all. Only one thing is clear: if she can uncover the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and justify her actions, perhaps the nightmares will stop and she’ll be okay – as long as the investigation itself doesn’t get her killed.

Seventeen-year-old El is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, because that’s just what big sisters do. They take care of their younger sisters.

The deal offered by the Queen’s guards provides one ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt and locates a dangerous outlaw, the charges against Mari will be dropped. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

Per your guidelines, I’ve included the first _ pages. Thank you for your consideration.

#11 TeaTime

TeaTime

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Dear Agent,

Based on your interest in __, I think my YA fantasy, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS, might be a good fit. The story is told in alternating POV and is complete at 75,000 words.

No matter what her low school marks or overbearing older sister have to say (This is better, more specific than before), sixteen-year-old Mari is sure she’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But it only takes one moment to shatter that confidence. One moment, (I don't know if it would be better/more correct without the comma) where Mari makes a split-second decision to divert a runaway cart in order to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and finds herself accused of murder.

After fleeing to the outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, Mari’s (Mari is) plagued with doubt. Maybe stepping in was the wrong decision. Maybe the deaths are her fault. And if her memory of the Queen’s guard (If this is a single guard, I would say "a Queen's guard") darting away from the cart just before its wild descent is correct, maybe the runaway cart wasn’t an accident at all. Only one thing is clear: if she can uncover the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and justify her actions, perhaps the nightmares will stop and she’ll be okay – as long as the investigation itself doesn’t get her killed (What is the specific danger--her investigating might lead her to dangerous people? Or that she'll get caught by the authorities & then tried for murder? And is she able to investigate this "accident" from a completely different location than where it occurred? You could maybe not specifically name the place Mari goes to & just say she flees to the underground or to the criminal underworld).

Seventeen-year-old El is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, because that’s just what big sisters do. They take care of their younger ("Little" might a better word to match the overbearing sister's viewpoint) sisters. (I do like both of these last two statements, but both together feel a bit repetitious. "17 year old El is determined to take care of her little sister Mari by securing a pardon for her, because that's just what big sisters do." is an alternative, but I dunno, other people might like the way you have it now.)

The deal offered by the Queen’s guards provides one ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt and locates a dangerous outlaw (Why would the guards have them do this? They're just teenage girls, right? Do the girls have any particular talent or experience to make this a good idea?), the charges against Mari will be dropped. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon (Because she would be consenting to her guilt, right? Would getting the pardon actually make it easier for Mari to investigate the accident to get to the truth though?). And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

Per your guidelines, I’ve included the first _ pages. Thank you for your consideration.

Good job on answering some of the questions that people had with the first draft, especially with more details on the accident. I still have a couple questions as per the comments above, but I think it's coming along nicely  :smile: 

Feel Free to Check Out My Current Query Letter Here, Thank You

#12 A. Wass

A. Wass

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:53 PM

Hey, thanks for your feedback on my query!

Alright, here is a revised version. I like this one better, but I'm also worried that it's getting a tiny bit too long. I appreciate any comments!

Dear Agent,

Based on your interest in __, I think my YA fantasy, THE WINGS OF EARTHBOUND THINGS, might be a good fit. The story is told in alternating POV and is complete at 75,000 words. Most agents prefer this at the end.

No matter what her low school marks (This reads awkward to me. I'd prefer low marks in school.) or overbearing older sister have to say, sixteen-year-old Mari is sure she’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. Good voice here but very vague. "find her own way in life" doesn't tell us anything. Please specify. But it only takes one moment to shatter that confidence. One moment, where Mari makes a split-second decision to divert a runaway cart in order to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and finds herself accused of murder. That is intense. It's good conflict.

After fleeing to the outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, Mari’s plagued with doubt. Maybe stepping in was the wrong decision. Maybe the deaths are her fault. And if her memory of the Queen’s guard darting away from the cart just before its wild descent is correct, maybe the runaway cart wasn’t an accident at all. This is good info to reveal, that it might not have been an accident, but i think it's done in a way that comes off as wordy. Be specific, but short. Only one thing is clear: if she can uncover the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and justify her actions, perhaps the nightmares will stop and she’ll be okay – as long as the investigation itself doesn’t get her killed.

Seventeen-year-old El is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, because that’s just what big sisters do. They take care of their younger sisters. I get your're trying to convey the sisterly bond but I don't think it comes across the right way.

The deal (What deal? We're just now hearing about this. So maybe flip the sentence and do something like, "They're only hope is a deal offered by..." instead.) offered by the Queen’s guards provides one ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt and locates a dangerous outlaw, the charges against Mari will be dropped. (What qualifies them to find this outlaw? Why is this important?) Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. (Why? This clashes with the info we know about Mari. The paragraphs above make it sound like she wants to prove her actions were justified but this says the opposite.) And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely. Good stakes.

Overall, we get a good sense of the characters, conflict, and stakes, but I think it could be more succinct and clear up a few things.

#13 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

Dear Agent,

No matter what her low school marks or overbearing older sister have to say, sixteen-year-old Mari is sure she’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But it only takes one moment to shatter
Sixteen-year-old Mari makes a split-second decision to divert a runaway cart in order to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and finds herself accused of murder. (This is interesting! Write just a bit more about this)

After fleeing to the outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, Mari’s plagued with doubt. Maybe stepping in was the wrong decision. Maybe the deaths are her fault. And if her memory of the Queen’s guard darting away from the cart just before its wild descent is correct, maybe the runaway cart wasn’t an accident at all. Only one thing is clear: if she can uncover the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and justify her actions, perhaps the nightmares will stop and she’ll be okay – as long as the investigation itself doesn’t get her killed.

Suggestion: "Mari flees to the outlaw infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, where she is plagued with doubt. If her memory of the Queen's guard darting away from the cart before its wild descent is correct...etc"

Seventeen-year-old El is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, because that’s just what big sisters do. They take care of their younger sisters.

The deal offered by the Queen’s guards provides one ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt and locates a dangerous outlaw, the charges against Mari will be dropped. Trouble is, But Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

Suggestion: "The Queen's guards offer a deal that provides a ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt  etc."

It seems like overall your story is about El trying to protect her younger sister Mari from the consequences of a mistake. I'm left a bit unsure of who the Queen is, what the world is like, why Mari was able to divert the cart, and why she is in trouble if she saved six lives. I would advise adding maybe two or three more specific details that could help clarify some of this. 

Mari diverting the runaway cart is interesting. I would advise using that sentence as your hook. 

Good luck!

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

#14 9emilylime9

9emilylime9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:41 AM

Dear Agent,

No matter what her low school marks or overbearing older sister have to say, sixteen-year-old Mari is sure she’s mature enough to find her own way in life, thank you very much. But it only takes one moment to shatter that confidence. One moment, where Mari makes a split-second decision to divert a runaway cart in order to save six lives – at the expense of two others – and finds herself accused of murder. (I think this flows, but it's not clear until the next paragraph that this is not a story that takes place on Earth. Or even that it's necessarily a fantasy. I work rework the first sentence into a hook that establishes both the setting as well as the conflict. Ie: When a runaway cart..., sixteen-year-old Mari must... And somewhere work in the Queen to establish a hint of setting and time period)

After fleeing to the outlaw-infested stretch of coastline known as the Marsh Belt, Mari is plagued with doubt. Maybe stepping in was the wrong decision. Maybe the deaths are her fault, after all. And if her memory of the Queen’s guard darting away from the cart just before its wild descent is correct, maybe the runaway cart wasn’t an accident at all. Only one thing is clear: if she can uncover the circumstances surrounding the tragedy and justify her actions, perhaps the nightmares will stop and she’ll be okay – as long as the investigation itself doesn’t get her killed.

Seventeen-year-old El is determined to secure a pardon for Mari, because that’s just what big sisters do. They take care of their younger sisters. What is the relationship of the sisters to the Queen? Are they peasants or nobles?

The deal offered by the Queen’s guards provides one ray of hope: if El joins Mari in the Marsh Belt and locates a dangerous outlaw, the charges against Mari will be dropped. Trouble is, Mari doesn’t seem to want a pardon. And the longer she’s there, the more reckless she becomes.  El resolves to do whatever it takes to get Mari out of the Marsh Belt – even if it means playing fast and loose with her own moral convictions – because if she doesn’t, she might just lose her sister completely.

I think you're very close! I would just focus on that first paragraph and crafting your hook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users