smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:16 AM

I still get affected by some criticisms from my boss and I'm the editor of a well-regarded online niche publication. It's natural to feel bad in those situations, but you just have to dust yourself off and get back into the game. While you're getting up and dusting off, however, do a bit of thinking about whether the criticisms are valid. Such self-assessment is critical, I believe, to improving as a writer -- and really to improving in general.

I'm happy to consider their feedback/criticisms. It's just that I don't  get any. I get no response at all or a form. That's the problem. I really do want to know what their criticisms are so that I can address them. But no one gives me any feedback. I'm just knocking around the in dark. 

#22 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:18 AM

Error post.

#23 conundrum

conundrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:33 PM

The purpose in writing is knowing the power of your words, crafting a tale and transporting the reader to a world they didn't know existed until they pick up your book (story, if you're not published) regardless of the genre. If we're writer's then we are readers, and we know writing is an art form, like anything else it takes practice to perfect, unless we are adept or a Master.

Everyday we speak with our words to each other, but sit at a desk and type at the keyboard, from brain to fingers is a major feet, and you keep looking at the word count, because "they say" it matters, and then you analyze content, try to feel the sun on your face, the breeze lift your hair, smell the damp moss at your feet, and you keep writing. Why? Because you have a story to tell, and you want to share it with others. The thing about human beings is we are all in this together, regardless of what we do, who we are, where we live, how old or young we are, introvert or extrovert, rich or poor. We all share one common thread, we are human, we live on planet earth, and we have been here for thousands of years...sharing our story.

Hearing others share their story indepth with all its richness, I can't imagine a world without it.

The world needs writer's and we would be lost without our storytellers.

So don't stop writing...

#24 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019.

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:49 PM

As for the critique (or lack thereof) part -- perhaps enter some (respected) contests, like Sun vs Snow, Pitch Madness, etc. There are a lot of them, and often you can get more critiques if you get chosen to move forward. Or join a group in your genre that offers critiques -- these can be online or in-person writing groups. There are often published authors, sometimes even editors, in such groups. It's a way to see if what you are doing with your query, pages, etc. "works" with people who have been involved in the publishing business. That might help you hone in on what (if anything) you need to change to improve your querying odds.

#25 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

It's possible to get feedback from these agents. There are websites like manuscriptacademy.com which offer query critique or first 10 pages critique and stuff like that, but it's not for free. The agents who work there are the same agents that send us the rejections, but if they're paid, they will explain to you why they rejected you. But it's quite expensive.  :(

#26 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 27 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

Inked Voices raffles off a free spot in each of their workshops to #ownvoice authors.

You can also enter feedback giveaways on Twitter. Enter a bunch of them and you'll likely land one. I've entered <15 and I've gotten 4 query or first pages critiques from agented authors and/or freelance editors.

I love dogs

#27 hjvagar

hjvagar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:had pictures and directions on something I created and was given credit as a costume tech in The Outlaw series.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

I want to thank everyone that has posted here. The ideas and tips everyone has given are wonderful. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the people here are great. Everyone is so willing to give help to others. What a great community and I'm so glad I stumbled onto it!

#28 Blueberry Tide

Blueberry Tide

Burnt Coffee Bean

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-Published

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:52 PM

I've been away for a while, and I've just found this post; I've received possibly hundreds of rejections so far - I've queried three novels without success so far (here's to keeping my fingers crossed for number 4!) and it doesn't matter how many rejections I get or how often. I always get this pitting feeling in my stomach when I see a response on my email, because I've come to expect rejections. And each one feels like a punch in the creative parts. It reiterated that constant, nagging feeling of not being good enough. 

Yes, I've cried about it. Several times. 

But, I haven't let it stop me so far. Every manuscript that I've queried has had a little more success than the one before it. 

So, keep your chin up, your pen handy, and accept my virtual hug of understanding. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users