Disclaimer

Photo

Previously published work - include or omit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:You go Glen Coco

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

I'm currently polishing my query to send out and am running into contradicting information about including prior publishing experience.  I've had two short stories published in magazines, one which offered payment and one that did not.  I read somewhere that agents aren't interested in publishing experience in an un-paying field, where as other people say to include anything and everything you can.  

Should I even bother to include this, or do the agents even care at this point? I'd rather keep my query short and to the point, and don't know if this would help or hurt.

#2 Nessa

Nessa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:THE BRIDGE (Harmony Ink Press)
    Blue Marble Review
    Local & national undergrad lit mags
    Guest blogs
    Zines

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:49 PM

I've never heard about agents not being interested in unpaid publications.

I would include both publications in a sentence like "My short stories have been published in so-and-so and so-and-so."

If the magazines are popular, it'll likely help. If they're not popular, I think they're still worth mentioning. :)

I love dogs

#3 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:You go Glen Coco

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Thank you :) Maybe I just dreamt that agents don't want to hear about unpaid publications, ahaha.  I wouldn't put it past me at this point :P

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,637 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

Yeah, I'd certainly use them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users