michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Please let me know if I'm revisiting a topic that has already been discussed.  I ran a search and couldn't find anything, so...

I'm honing in on the ending of a MG novel that I've been working on for over five months now.  As I've begun to review some the earlier chapters, I'm noticing that I've included the phrase "the kids" a few times to indicate a group of kids.  I'm just wondering if phrases like that are turnoffs to the 11-15 age-range, or if they're OK with it.  Also, if you can think of any other words or phrases which may come off as condescending to the MG audience, that would be great.   I feel pretty comfortable with this general topic, but sorta wanted to know if "the kids" works.  Thanks in advance!

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

I wouldn't see why it would be a problem. Pretty sure I read books at that age that used "the kids", and I didn't think anything of it.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 JDSmith

JDSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I have finished my first novel and am currently figuring out the publishing process in hopes to one day be published.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

"the teens"? Maybe reference them as the kids once and then "the group"? I think "the kids" works well, though

I'd really appreciate help with my query: Iris Mjolnir Spawn of War

First 250 words here: Woooo

Write on!

#4 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

"the teens"? Maybe reference them as the kids once and then "the group"? I think "the kids" works well, though

Great idea.  Thanks for the suggestion.

#5 EmperorOfTheNorth

EmperorOfTheNorth

King of The Road

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

I tend to use "the cats, dudes, boys" for males. I use "the chicks, skirts, dolls etc" for females. "The gang, pack, clique, set" for mixed. But then I write for a hep audience.
Go on and stamp your forms, sonny.

#6 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:55 PM

It definitely depends on the context. It might be better to specify the age a bit more, by saying something like "college kids" or "high school kids". If you just say "the kids" people might think you mean people under the age of 10 or so. Having the narrator use the term "kids" could make it feel like it's an older person looking back on younger people. "Kids" is definitely better than "children", but I think that the 11-14 age group will actually be the most sensitive to the term and prefer to be called "teens."

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users