michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Please let me know if I'm revisiting a topic that has already been discussed.  I ran a search and couldn't find anything, so...

I'm honing in on the ending of a MG novel that I've been working on for over five months now.  As I've begun to review some the earlier chapters, I'm noticing that I've included the phrase "the kids" a few times to indicate a group of kids.  I'm just wondering if phrases like that are turnoffs to the 11-15 age-range, or if they're OK with it.  Also, if you can think of any other words or phrases which may come off as condescending to the MG audience, that would be great.   I feel pretty comfortable with this general topic, but sorta wanted to know if "the kids" works.  Thanks in advance!

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

I wouldn't see why it would be a problem. Pretty sure I read books at that age that used "the kids", and I didn't think anything of it.

#3 JDSmith

JDSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I have finished my first novel and am currently figuring out the publishing process in hopes to one day be published.

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

"the teens"? Maybe reference them as the kids once and then "the group"? I think "the kids" works well, though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users