#1 jobryan

jobryan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 10 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

A small press has exclusive US rights to a novel of mine. Would a prospective publisher in the UK be bothered by that? A little? A lot? Is it unrealistic to hope for a bigger deal at a larger publisher there, with representation? What are the variables?

Any experiences involving US-to-UK publication would be helpful, really.

Thanks.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,692 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

First North American rights are for North America. It's your story, and you have the right to sell it in the U.K. I'd recommend you look at the agreement you signed with the small press. If it doesn't say anything, then you're well within your rights to sell it to a publisher outside of the U.S.

You're listed as agented, so you may want to double check with your agent, but I'd imagine that they're aware of what you can and can't do and also whether you should or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users