DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

I am sure I'm just overthinking this (what else is new?), but when querying, is it best to label your book as a single genre? I've always thought of my book as science fiction/fantasy, but now that I'm gearing up to query, I'm thinking it would be best to just say it's fantasy for simplicity sake.  

Also in that vein, I'm planning on querying a few agents who are looking for my genre, plus writing with comedy in it.  Would it be suitable to say my book is "fantasy with comedic elements" or should I nix the last bit and let the comedy come through in the query?

AND, this has nothing to do with this question, but I read several times just today that you should round your word count to the nearest FIVE thousand, not thousand.  So 102,000 becomes 100,000 or 107,000 becomes 110,000.  Eh? I always thought it was to the nearest thousand.

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:55 PM

Keep it simple to one or two genres, max. Otherwise it starts getting tangled and complicated and also doesn't seem like you know genres very well. If you're a blend of sci-fi/fantasy, you might be science fantasy, as I have been querying my book. The only issue I've come across is that when agents have submission forms, science fantasy isn't listed, so I have to settle for sci-fi or fantasy. But I figure if an agent is asking for either of those, they're not going to balk at the genre that's the blend between the two.

It is acceptable to write that your book is, "Genre A with elements of Genre B", so you can write that. The one thing is that you always want to still follow "show, don't tell", and comedy in particular is where that holds true. If you make your query witty, then that equally shows to the agents that there will be at least some mild amusement that will follow from reading your book.

Regarding the word count... I'd heard nearest 500, so... But to me 5,000 seems a little ridiculous.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users