#1 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Hi guys, I am struggling to know what to put in my Bio section of my newest query. To be honest, I have always left it empty.

My crappy writing creds:

I studied a BA in Communications majoring in Journalism for 2 years, but this was ages ago, and I never finished the degree.  

I wrote for several crappy, indie music zines, reviewing albums and stuff. The biggest thing I did was get the opportunity to interview an award winning rapper.

I belong to this awesome place AgentQuery, and I have for a few years. Just opened an account with Absolute Write. I was told you can mention that you belong to writing groups, because it looks good.

Can I use any or all of these things? How do I put this into a small, concise bio?!

Cheers my peeps, you guys keep me going.

#2 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I'm in the same boat as you with some very unimpressive prior credentials.  I would say something like "I studied BA in Communications majoring in Journalism" and casually omit the part about never finishing it.  I doubt an agent would follow up if you finished your degree or not.  As for the magazines, you could mention those as well, but obviously beef it up a bit and make them sound not-so-crappy.

I'm under the impression that an agent probably doesn't care much about your bio.  Honestly, I don't think they're going to read a so-so query and go "But they have a degree! Well that changes everything, I MUST have the full manuscript now!" They're so busy they probably just scan it over, since after reading the fiftieth letter that day, all the bio's are going to start to sound the same.

#3 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:20 AM

I don't think it matters. I once got a full request and my query was a "form query" (I only changed the agent's name and had neither personalization nor Bio). It was the moment I realized that the only thing that matters is whether the agent likes your writing or not. 

#4 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

I agree that the bio is not important. Unless you won the Pushcart Prize or published in The New Yorker, I don't think agents care much about your bio.

#5 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

You should consider including a bio if your book involves research-heavy topics that you have studied in higher academia. Biochemistry, astrophysics, etc.

If you and your protagonist are from the same minority background, you'll either want to add #ownvoices to your genre, or mention it in the bio.

Bios usually don't matter if they're generic "I studied so-and-so in college" which have no connection to your book's theme/genre.

I love dogs

#6 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Hi guys, I am struggling to know what to put in my Bio section of my newest query. To be honest, I have always left it empty.

My crappy writing creds:

I studied a BA in Communications majoring in Journalism for 2 years, but this was ages ago, and I never finished the degree.  

I wrote for several crappy, indie music zines, reviewing albums and stuff. The biggest thing I did was get the opportunity to interview an award winning rapper.

I belong to this awesome place AgentQuery, and I have for a few years. Just opened an account with Absolute Write. I was told you can mention that you belong to writing groups, because it looks good.

Can I use any or all of these things? How do I put this into a small, concise bio?!

Cheers my peeps, you guys keep me going.

If you don't have stuff for your bio that's relevant (you're pitching a novel about gene splicing resulting in an apocalyptic bunny horde and you hold a Ph.D in bunny gene splicing and have done research into the wild New Guinea giant rabbit population), or credentials (these should be either professional, meaning paid, publications, like your short fiction was published in The New Yorker and your last book, I Was Eaten By A Bunny, was published by Knopf, in 2012, or prestigious like a well-known short outlet), either leave it blank and sign off or put something very short and vaguely interesting but generic ('I'm an aerospace engineer living in Roswell....').

#7 Raptor

Raptor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:34 PM

Don't sweat your bio.  You have more credentials than you know.  I agree with the others--that your bio isn't relevant unless it reinforces your credentials to write on specific issue or topic.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users