alsilas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:internationallawstudies.blogspot.com

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

I have a finished manuscript and would like to start sending it out to agents. However, I want to give my story the best chance of making it out there and was thinking about getting an independent editor to read through the manuscript before I send it out to agents. Has anyone done this? Any editors you would suggest?

#2 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have a finished manuscript and would like to start sending it out to agents. However, I want to give my story the best chance of making it out there and was thinking about getting an independent editor to read through the manuscript before I send it out to agents. Has anyone done this? Any editors you would suggest?

I have not done this yet, but I have been listening to a series of videos on youtube by an editor named Ellen Brock who I think I'm going to hire once my novel is ready (if she has the time).  I guess it all depends on the level of comfort you have with your own ability to edit your work into something clean enough to show an agent.  I, for one, will feel much better once a professional has given my book a once-over.

#3 alsilas

alsilas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:internationallawstudies.blogspot.com

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

I have not done this yet, but I have been listening to a series of videos on youtube by an editor named Ellen Brock who I think I'm going to hire once my novel is ready (if she has the time).  I guess it all depends on the level of comfort you have with your own ability to edit your work into something clean enough to show an agent.  I, for one, will feel much better once a professional has given my book a once-over.

That's exactly how I feel! I feel like I've done a relatively good job editing my novel, but I would feel so much better getting some professional feedback, especially because I'm so new to the creative writing world. I'll have to check out Ellen Brock.

#4 AndrewF

AndrewF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Finished the first book in an eventual trilogy and am looking for an Agent.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

In doing this would you be afraid of them taking your work, editing it better than you can (since they are an editor) and then publishing first (assuming they have better contacts in the publishing world)

#5 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

In doing this would you be afraid of them taking your work, editing it better than you can (since they are an editor) and then publishing first (assuming they have better contacts in the publishing world)

That'd be an easy court case to win for the actual author, and an insane risk for the editor to take.

It'd effectively be throwing an entire career and reputation away in the very thin hope that someone won't notice their own book published, and won't be bothered that the editor never sent back the edited work. 

I have been editing and writing for more than a decade and have never heard of anything like that happening, and if it had, it'd be the story of all time, featuring the dumbest editor who ever lived. 

#6 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:08 PM

Springfield beat me to it. Editing is a career for these people, and it doesn't make much sense to steal a book. Granted, you should always do your research before working with anyone, make sure they are reputable, but even then, your concern is more that they're actually going to do a good job and make their services worth your money than that they're going to steal your work.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users