Thrash

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

Not really a fact check but  I'm reaching for options here.  To advance my story a character needs to die suddenly & tragically.  I don't want it to be a car wreck because while statistically, if healthy people die suddenly that's usually why, but it's awfully overdone, right?  It needs to be something relatively common, because it will trigger the memory of previous deaths from MC's very young childhood--and that incident killed two--and that coincidence should be relatively believable. 

I'm stuck because I can't get car wreck out of my mind.  

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

Struck by lightning, drowning, anaphylactic shock from a bee sting or other allergy (which could be a nice one because you could very subtly set it up by briefly establishing the character has said allergy), mugging gone wrong...

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

I was going to say an aneurism, but then read it had to kill two others as well.  Can the death be natural causes?

They could get buried in an avalanche.  That can kill multiple people.  Or getting lost in the backcountry and dying of exposure.

Or killed in a house fire.

Or a drug overdose (if it fits with their lifestyle.)

#4 JDSmith

JDSmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I have finished my first novel and am currently figuring out the publishing process in hopes to one day be published.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:05 AM

Just a fun writing tip to make deaths more meaningful:

There are four kinds of ways a character can face a deadly situation:

• They think they are going to die  and die
  • They think they are going to die  and don't die
  • They don't think they will die       and die
  • They don't think they will die       and don't die

The kinds of situations this can apply to can be a character prepping for a fight, a natural disaster, a heroic action, etc.

Also, now actually answering the question: getting mugged, drowning, choking, lightning, on a high and does something stupid, gets hit by a motorcycle (lol jk).

I hope this helps a little bit to spark the embers of creativity!

I'd really appreciate help with my query: Iris Mjolnir Spawn of War

First 250 words here: Woooo

Write on!

#5 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

I was going to suggest drowning, because it can happen in so many ways: river rafting, in a pool, swimming in the ocean, boat capsizing, etc. So the circumstances of the first event don't have to coordinate exactly with the second, like it would in, say, a house fire or drug overdose.

You could even set up the first event as an unsolved murder. Just a thought...

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

A drug overdose is certainly a possibility, though it also says something about the character, and that may not be accurate to your story.

If you don't like car accident, how about a boat accident? Take a late night boat ride -- a dark, moonless night -- add alcohol and velocity. Mix with other noises to help drown out the dinging of a bell on a buoy in the rocky jetty in the harbor. And you've got yourself a recipe for awful, repeatable death.

#7 Ztwist

Ztwist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:no fiction publishing experience, only experience with translation and writing academic articles and books

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

I'd say drowning. Of the 3 people from my high school class who have died (in real life) one was a car accident, one drowned swimming in a river with strong currents, and one drowned in a flash flood. The danger from water is so hard to evaluate. It is often confident, healthy young men who overestimate their abilities (maybe that fits your plot.)

#8 Jayfrin

Jayfrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:24 AM

I endorse the allergy one, make subtle mention of it as an innocuous character trait and people won't feel cheated by the death they'll almost feel like they should have seen it coming.

#9 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:35 AM

I vote electrocution.  Quick, simple, and there are a million ways that it can happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users