#1 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Has anyone been able to find query letters from top bestsellers?

I think Veronica Roth had her query posted on her blog for a while, but her blog got taken down. It would be so awesome to read the query letters for books like Harry Potter, Twilight, and Gregor the Overlander (the Hunger Games wasn't Suzanne Collins first published book). 

When I think about the books that had the most success, I can't figure out what elements I would include in a query for them. It seems like those books would be hardest to write query letters for, because they are so complicated. 

Has anyone been able to find any famous query letters? 

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

#2 Emily804

Emily804

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

I found the successful query for Love, Hate and Other Filters: http://ericsmithrock...-other-filters/

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for liking our #PitMatch connection! I'm excited to share my query for SWIMMING LESSONS along with the first 50 pages of the manuscript that you will find attached as a Word docx.

Seventeen-year old American-born Maya Aziz lives between worlds. Between the proper world her parents expect for their good Indian Muslim daughter and the one she envisions for herself. Between her small Midwestern town and her dream of going to film school in New York. Between the mundane reality of her every day and her imagination where she gets advice from Ilsa Lund and Holly Golightly. Between her conflicted longing for the Homecoming King and the Suitable Boy.

With the help and humor of her two best friends, Maya navigates a senior year that’s enlivened by teen angst, romance, a bit of magical realism, and swimming lessons at a secret pond—but a suicide bomber disrupts it all.

Told via brief inter-chapters, the aftermath of this act of domestic terrorism has repercussions in Maya's small town, changing her life forever. This intercalary story builds to the bombing and delves into its genesis and aftermath in ways both intimate and profound.

SWIMMING LESSONS, complete at 80,000 words, was one of three finalists for the 2015 Sheehan YA Book Prize. It is a contemporary young adult story, with a whiff of The Love That Split the World meets Quantico, set in a space where cultures collide, where the definitions of self and other are blurred, and where last names can be a threat.

I was born in Bombay, India, and currently live in Chicago. I have also lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where I spent a year with my husband and two young children searching for the perfect mango. I received my BA and MAT from the University of Chicago and taught high school English for seven years. My creative non-fiction has appeared in Jaggery Lit and Entropy.

Currently, the full manuscript is under consideration by three other agents. I will let you know immediately of any change in status. Thank you for your time and interest.

Best,

Samira Ahmed

Query Compatibility YA sci-fi: http://agentquerycon...lity-ya-sci-fi/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users