DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

A few places I've been looking to submit to say they want a query, synopsis, sample pages AND an author's bio.  Where should I place said bio in the scheme of things? I would prefer to put it last, as my bio is most bleak.

And should it be written in first or third person?  Thanks in advance :)

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:54 PM

Bios go last, right above the signature. They're written in first person.

I love dogs

#3 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

If an agent requests a query that includes an author bio, then I include the bio in the query -- at the very end. If they ask for what you described above (query, synopsis, sample pages AND author bio), then I include the bio separately from the query (in the same email but in a little paragraph with the title Author Bio).

If the bio is in the query, I write it in first person. If I add the bio as it's own standalone unit, then I write it in third person.

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

If an agent requests a query that includes an author bio, then I include the bio in the query -- at the very end. If they ask for what you described above (query, synopsis, sample pages AND author bio), then I include the bio separately from the query (in the same email but in a little paragraph with the title Author Bio).

If the bio is in the query, I write it in first person. If I add the bio as it's own standalone unit, then I write it in third person.

Thanks! Yeah, the submissions said query, synopsis, sample pages and an author's bio, which threw me, and of course lead me to over think everything (what else is new?)

#5 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes the submission requirements are unclear. Sometimes they'll say something like they want a query with synopsis -- wording that could mean they want a query that includes a synopsis (as in the standard plot synopsis that is part of the query) or they want a query AND a synopsis (a full one-page synopsis that includes the ending). Or as in your example, do they want a query that includes a bio or a query and a separate bio? It can be hard to know sometimes. I do my best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users