Keeppositive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nope

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Having taken a break from querying my manuscript, I have entered a few writing contests for short stories and flash fiction. Will this help a literary agent take a closer look at my query if I have some winning entries or published stories?

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

If you win something, you include it in your query. Toward the bottom.

hook

more tantalizing information to jab that hook in deeper

a bit about me me me, and my story "I Was a Teenage Flash Fiction Writer" won the 2018 Flash Fiction Award from Making Shtuff Up Press.

simple as that

#3 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

It never hurts to enter contests. If you win, then for sure add it to your query. Even if you don't get more requests just because of a story win, you are building your platform. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users