2 replies to this topic

#1 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Only a small portion of my material has been published.<br /><br /> Several essays published by The Daily Dissident, including essays on why political debates and conflicts are often contrived and bogus, why Jews often gravitate toward the left, how American politics has been deformed and inauthentic ever since the compromise at the end of the 1876 election, and how and why the Left fails to articulate its positions in a commanding and coherent fashion.<br /><br /> An essay published years ago, in the New York Native, regarding the AIDS epidemic <br /><br />I also have a barge of unpublished material, including one novel, several hundreds of pages of non fiction essays, hundreds of poems half of which rhymed, and memoir-like pieces.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:11 AM

Of course, we all know that many people, in many fields of business, are thieves and crooks.  Literature, whether low brow or high brow, I suppose is no exception.

I vaguely recall reading that there was an association of some sort.    If an agent or publisher was a member of that association or industry group,  a writer could feel somewhat at ease.  He still of course might not get published, but the purported agent or publisher would not be a scam artist.

Does anyone know the NAME of an organization of agents who are, at least, reputable and not given to making utter misrepresentations. 

ALSO, how does one determine if a given agent is a member of that organization.

I do not want to sound demanding, but please answer my question.  Please don't tell me that "all agents are sheisters," or that I should self publish, or offer any information which is not an answer to the question. 

Thank you

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:58 PM

The organization you are thinking of is the Association of Author's Representatives (AAR). You can often find it noted on their websites if they are members, and also the various searchable databases for agents usually note it as well. However, while an agent being a member of AAR is a good sign, it doesn't guarantee anything, and likewise there are plenty of legit agents who are not members (my current top choice is not, for instance). You can read more about AAR here: https://agentquery.c...source_aar.aspx

Most of the agents searchable in agentquery.com's database are legitimate (https://agentquery.c...h_advanced.aspx). But always do your research. I cross reference at https://querytracker.net/, which has good information as well, including comments from people who have submitted to them. If an agent is charging you a fee to submit, that's a no, or a large fee to sign with them, beware as well (although some legit agents will ask a small fee to cover costs of submitting to publishers). I'm going to throw one more link at you, because there's a lot to cover and it's easier for you to read on your own, but this talks about weeding out the chaff from the grain: https://agentquery.com/writer_bs.aspx

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 Rimbaud

Rimbaud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Only a small portion of my material has been published.<br /><br /> Several essays published by The Daily Dissident, including essays on why political debates and conflicts are often contrived and bogus, why Jews often gravitate toward the left, how American politics has been deformed and inauthentic ever since the compromise at the end of the 1876 election, and how and why the Left fails to articulate its positions in a commanding and coherent fashion.<br /><br /> An essay published years ago, in the New York Native, regarding the AIDS epidemic <br /><br />I also have a barge of unpublished material, including one novel, several hundreds of pages of non fiction essays, hundreds of poems half of which rhymed, and memoir-like pieces.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Inloft, thanks a lot for your informative and comprehensive response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users