2 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:A short story in Underneath the Juniper Tree.

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

In seeking out agents, I'm encountering this phrase everywhere. It seems everyone wants humorous, lighthearted MG, or "the next Diary of a Wimpy Kid." But that's not at all what I'm writing. My projects tend to be action-oriented fantasy with an emphasis on the creepy. Of course it's important that even darker MG stories retain an element of adventure and fun, but "quirky and funny" is quite the stretch here. Where are the agents looking for MG horror? Am I just not looking in the right place? Surely there's a market for this kind of thing somewhere ...

#2 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

It might seem that everybody wants "quirky and funny," but they're also looking for anything written well that is marketable.

There are agents looking for creepier MG fantasy. They might not be vocalizing it as much the agents asking for quirky/funny/lighthearted books, but they're out there. You just have to do the research.

Check out Twitter #MSWL, follow literary agents, look at their blog posts, study their personal tastes.

I love dogs

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,726 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Nessa is right. If you write a highly marketable work that can capture readers and turn them into devoted longtime customers, you'll become the person who wrote what everyone else will be saying they're looking for.

It's not about art, as much as we might like it to be. Publishing is a business venture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users