Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

When to Follow Up With an Agent After a Full Request?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

So, I'm still sitting on one full request from an agent, waiting for a response. The agency's website says that they aim to have responses to partials and fulls within twelve weeks, but that they do sometimes run behind. I've also noticed from looking at Query Tracker that this agent seems to be running behind on things, too. Anyway, this coming Wednesday will mark fourteen weeks, and I'm not freaking out yet (well, no, I'm not freaking out mentally, but emotionally I've been freaking out since November, so what's new), but I'm wondering what people think is the appropriate time to wait after the agent is overdue before sending a polite message indicating that I'm still very much interested. And do people think it's appropriate to ask if she has an ETA? I realize two weeks thus far isn't that long of a time, but it's amazing how easy it is to get worked up about every email I get until I see the actual subject lines. I think it just sucks feeling helpless. Any thoughts are appreciated, especially from those who have been in this spot. Thanks.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#2 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

If the agent is running behind on QT but is responding to queries and requests (i.e. making progress), you should be fine.

You can nudge now, but I suggest waiting until they've had the full for six months.

Asking for an ETA sounds pushy. The agent will get to it when they have time. Clients are above all else. If you nudge, all you want to do is make sure they haven't forgotten about the manuscript. "Hello [AGENT], I hope you're doing well. I’m reaching out regarding [TITLE], which I sent on [DATE]. Please let me know if you need anything else."

It helps to work on another novel. I'm also waiting on requests from agents who are nearing or past their ETAs, but I don't feel as helpless with another novel almost ready to query. 

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:38 PM

Thanks. You're pretty much confirming what I already assumed (except that I should wait six months--yikes, hopefully I'll still have hair by that point), but I think sometimes in this process we need to hear someone actually tell it to us. Keeps the mental freak out at bay, and as for the emotional freak out... Well, I just keep reminding myself that if she hasn't responded, then she hasn't said no yet. In the meantime, yes, I will keep working on other projects, because if I didn't do that, I would have exploded a long time ago.

#4 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

I find the waiting incredibly difficult. It would be wonderful if they could just check in once in a while -- even to let me know they haven't decided yet. Often I feel like no one exists on the other side of my email and my messages go into the void and vanish forever. It's so hard but nothing you can do but wait and then have a little panic attack every time an email arrives.

Or at least that's what I do.

#5 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

Waiting on my emails I feel like a dog waiting for the owner to come home. Excitement: was that them? -- Downcast: oh, no, false alarm -- Excitement: Wait, there's a new one! Maybe this time it'll be what I want--

Oh, no, false alarm again.

#6 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

Waiting on my emails I feel like a dog waiting for the owner to come home. Excitement: was that them? -- Downcast: oh, no, false alarm -- Excitement: Wait, there's a new one! Maybe this time it'll be what I want--

Oh, no, false alarm again.

This is exactly why I have a seperate email account for all things agent related.  

#7 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:33 PM

This is exactly why I have a seperate email account for all things agent related.  

After two years of querying, I just realized last week that having an email dedicated to agents would vastly improve my life. (sigh) I'm now dedicating an old email of mine to agents. It definitely helps with the anxiety.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users