Disclaimer

Photo

Paranormal Romance? Fantasy? Commercial?

Fiction Chick Lit Commercial Fiction Fantasy Romance Young Adult Womens Fiction

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ltjen107

Ltjen107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Your help is needed and appreciated!  Below please find my query letter.  I feel as though I will have more success with querying if I am more specific on genre and seek out those with an interest in my genre.  However, I'm struggling to really "know thy genre" as I believe it could fall under multiple categories including YA, Commercial, Romance, Fantasy and/or paranormal.  

Blank spaces in the letter are to add personal specifics for each individual agent.  Please take a look and let me know your thoughts!  Thanks!

Mr./Ms. ____ -

Thank you for the opportunity to share my novel with you and XCompany. I am seeking representation for my novel, SABLE. According to _____, you have had much success with ____ novelists and I think by novel will be a good addition to your list.   This novel weaves together important current themes with timeless messages of isolation and acceptance, love, being true and believing in one’s self.

Sixteen-year-old Sable Starling profoundly yearns to be a part of something greater than herself, but continually finds herself alone in her black and purple goth-punk world.  Refusing to conform after several brutal run-ins with bullies (that leave her scarred in more ways than one) Sable finds herself living with her judgy, preppy mom in upstate New York, rather than her cool, accepting, low-key musician father in California.  Isolationism at an all-time high and Sable is sure living in Astoria will suck, big time.

But when Gabriel Blaecleah saunters into her math class, she finds that she is shockingly wrong and pulls her sinking morale out of her blood-red Dr. Marten boots.  Sable recognizes the band patches and pins on his coat and feels akin to him, part of a culture of which mainstream society was quietly aware, yet had no understanding.  His unique style and heartbreaking beauty make him the kind of creature she would invent in her sleep--in the innermost parts of her mind and hide away in the dark shadows of her heart.

But there is something otherworldly about Gabriel.  His ethereal looks, unusual lifestyle, and secretive behavior intrigues Sable even as they unnerve her.  As Sable struggles with her own significance, it is Gabriel who truly sees and accepts her in the way she has yearned for her entire life.  

Sable’s new life is something worth fighting for, even worth dying for… but when her famous father mysteriously falls ill, she turns to Gabriel and his clandestine abilities.  Sable’s world begins to crumble as she is forced with a decision of devastating and extraordinary power; and must choose if an attempt to save her father is worth risking Gabriel and the enchanted, secret society in which she thrives.  

SABLE is complete at 79,431 words and is the first in a series.  Having always considered myself a writer, I’ve taught middle and high school students and have a background in public relations and advertising.  I believe my books will appeal to paranormal-romance readers, specifically those drawn to A Shade of Vampire novels or craving descriptions like one would find in The Amber Spyglass.  Per your specifications, please find the first ____ pages of my novel included.  I appreciate your time and consideration.

Thank you,

J. Brown

J. Brown Vogel

###

By the way, Gabriel is revealed to be a vampire and does have the ability/power to save Sable's father.  

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:31 PM

To me this sounds like YA paranormal romance. Arguably you could sell it as YA urban fantasy, but since the relationship between Sable and Gabriel seems to be at the forefront, I think the paranormal romance fits better.

On another note, definitely make sure to post this query for critique before you start sending it out, because I see multiple places it could use some work.

On a COMPLETELY random note, Sable is the name of the main character of my first novel (that is currently sitting on the shelf because it's not in a publishable state), but he's a guy, so it keeps sounding weird to me whenever you refer to Sable as a "she". :tongue:

Hope this helps.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 Ltjen107

Ltjen107

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:07 AM

To me this sounds like YA paranormal romance. Arguably you could sell it as YA urban fantasy, but since the relationship between Sable and Gabriel seems to be at the forefront, I think the paranormal romance fits better.

On another note, definitely make sure to post this query for critique before you start sending it out, because I see multiple places it could use some work.

On a COMPLETELY random note, Sable is the name of the main character of my first novel (that is currently sitting on the shelf because it's not in a publishable state), but he's a guy, so it keeps sounding weird to me whenever you refer to Sable as a "she". :tongue:

Hope this helps.

Yes, it helps.  I appreciate your time!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Chick Lit, Commercial Fiction, Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult, Womens Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users