lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:03 PM

Closed for now, I've got enough responses, thanks!

Hi all,

I've decided I would like a fresh pair of eyes or two on my manuscript. So I'm looking for a partner or two to do some critiquing. Probably start with sharing a couple of chapters, just to make sure we're good fits, before going onto a full swap.

Who I'm looking for: My book is science fantasy (query at the bottom), so I'd really like someone who reads fantasy or sci-fi. I can in theory read anything, but let's be honest, I'm not going to be particularly useful for something like romance. My reading habits only very rarely stray from the fantasy/sci-fi shelf. So the farther your book strays from those, just know that while I will give it my best shot, my familiarity with the tropes of other genres might be lacking and my interest not as high. If I have multiple people contact me, I also will give precedence to people who have been giving useful critiques on this site.

What I'm offering: I've critiqued a couple manuscripts before. Basically, I go through and annotate my thoughts as I go. "I'm confused." "I think this will happen." "I like this character." "I don't like this character." "This sentence sounded awkward." "This made me laugh." You get the idea. I'm basically offering a snapshot of how one reader is reacting to different aspects of your book, big picture and more nitty-gritty, positive and negative. I also will help out with spelling and grammar if I see them, even if you're not asking for it, because I just can't let those sorts of things sit by if I see them.

What I'm looking for: Ideally, I'd love someone to do the same with my book what I'm offering for them. I want to know unbiased reactions, is this working, is this not.

When I want this: I don't have a strict timeline, but I'm hoping to have the feedback within a couple of months, and I will do the same for yours.

If you are interested, post here or PM me, and we'll see how it goes.

Query:

Lara Kavarin can pilot a ship through the void between the worlds, salvage lost artifacts from ancient ruins, and put her life on the line for her friends. Stopping an affable renegade from destroying the worlds isn’t exactly within her line of work.

Too bad that’s what she needs to do.

Travel between worlds requires two things: a ship that can sail the nil-matter of the void, and the innate ability to pilot it. Lara’s got both. With her close-knit crew, she keeps her head down exploring remote worlds. Then the power-hungry Coalition comes to Lara for help saving those worlds from their own mess.

One of their captains, Amerlaine Silver, has turned on the Coalition. She’s slaughtered the pilots who could give chase and plans to take down the Coalition by any means necessary—even if that means massacring innocents in the process. Lara’s the only pilot left who can stop her. And if Lara doesn’t, Amerlaine will use a newly-discovered device to open the void, unleashing terrors and destroying worlds.

In a mission like this, Lara is outmatched in experience and resources. She’s afraid of the risk to herself and her friends, but terrified of what failure would mean for everyone. As an experienced traveler of the void, she knows firsthand what horrors will be freed: unkillable eldritch monsters and time warps locking victims in perpetual loops. Despite her fear, Lara can’t allow the worlds to end that way.

If she doesn’t save them, no one will.

OUROBOROS is a 104,000-word science fantasy. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#2 mbal

mbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Never been published

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:39 PM

Hi there, I am just get started looking for critique partners as well after finishing my manuscript. My ms is YA fantasy and I read a fair amount of SF/F. Let me know if you're interested, thanks!

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Sorry for the delay and thanks for responding, but I've got a couple partners at this point. Good luck, though!

#4 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:51 PM

Okay, I'm giving this a bump. Since last getting a critique, I've heard back from a partial and a full, both nos. The partial I was expecting, the full... that one still hurts. But anyway, I want to get some fresh eyes on my MS again. Both agents gave some feedback (particularly from the full), but I can't look at my MS to properly incorporate them right now, so the addendum to what I want is to look at my MS with the agent feedback as... guidelines, we'll call it. Not hard and fast rules that need to be fixed, because it's so subjective that they may or may not be problems to other people, but to at least critique with these points in mind. Otherwise, everything I wrote in my original post still stands. Let me know if you're interested.

#5 kailam

kailam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Unpublished.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Hi, I'd be interested a swap, if you're still looking? There's a link to my CP ad in my sig below. The MS's fantasy, but I've classed it as low fantasy as there's no magical element - don't know whether that's your cup of tea? Can always swap a few chapters and see if it's a fit?

#6 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

Sorry for the delay -- yes, I'm still looking and willing to give it a shot. I'll message you to hash out the details.

I forgot to mention for anyone else, if you're not looking for a full swap, then I'm still down for just the first three chapters (first 50 pages), since that's so much of what agents look at anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users