1 reply to this topic

#1 James Kraus

James Kraus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:photo book published by Firfly Books<br />2 novels self-publihed<br />magazine articles<br />3 short stories published in magazines

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:35 AM

I have published a photo book with Firefly Books & have self-published 2 novels on Amazon with CreateSpace. I have published numerous magazine articles & 3 short stories in magazines. I have also done several videos & slide shows & have written  scripts for them.

I am interested in securing an agent to help with the publishing of my 2 self published novels with a Traditional Paper Publisher.

Here is my question: Do Traditional Paper Publishers publish books that have already been self-published? Will agents be interested in doing this? In other words is this professionally acceptable and possible?

If this is possible, I would also appreciate hearing from other authors who have done this, and/or about their experiences with doing this. If this is not possible, than I would appreciate also hearing this.

James Kraus

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

It's possible but unlikely.

Most agents and houses aren't particularly interested in works that have already been published. There are some exceptions, usually at either end of the spectrum. Occasionally someone with a really superb novel has put it up for sale and quickly taken it down, which does technically burn first rights, but given promising material, people are willing to overlook it.

On the other end are the Andy Weirs of the world. If your self-pubbed work has sold very well (very well is in the high tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of copies), agents and publishers are generally likely to be interested.

The middle ground, where most self-pubbed works fall, is where the work isn't so irresistible and the audience is either not there or likely already used up. 

So.. possible but unlikely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, E-Publishing, Traditional Publishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users