#1 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

I'm in the process of revising my current manuscript, and my title could possibly be included. It's about my main character and her four best friends being in a group set to protect the elements of life.

My current title is "Codename: E.T.D.E.L."

ETDEL stands for "Elite Teens, Defenders of the Elements of Life," which is what this group is called. My MC and her friends are given codenames to conceal their identities, and these codenames are based on various goddesses associated with the different elements.

Is this a good title, or not?

#2 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

I find it a bit of a mouthful, and the acronym doesn't flow. It also makes me think of the Cartoon Network show Codename: Kids Next Door. Based off the ages of your cast I'm assuming your book is YA, and I would think teens might be less interested in something that reminds them of a show for little kids. Just my two cents.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#3 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:14 PM

I'll be honest, that did cross my mind at some point (even though I barely watched the show). Any suggestions for another title? I know nobody knows anything about my manuscript, but neither will an agent when I *eventually* get back to querying.

~Kelli

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:44 PM

Any suggestions for another title? I know nobody knows anything about my manuscript, but neither will an agent when I *eventually* get back to querying.

~Kelli

Perhaps something with “elementals” or “elements” in the title? I agree that the acronym doesn’t roll off the tongue nor is very catchy for a title.

#5 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:25 PM

I'd like for this book to become a series, and "Elementals" is already a name for a series by Brigid Kemmerer.

Would "Elite Teens, Defenders of the Elements of Life" work? Or is it too long?

#6 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

Too long. I suggest no more than four words.

I love dogs

#7 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

What about just "Defenders of the Elements of Life" or "Elite Defenders of the Elements" or something along those lines?  I didn't realize "Elementals" was already a series.

#8 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:01 PM

What about just "Defenders of the Elements of Life"?

I was considering suggesting that, but it has the double "of" in there. It makes it sound a little clunky in my opinion, and sci-fi/fantasy is already rife with "of" titles. I did a count of the number of books or series on my bookshelf with an "of" in the title, and it was easily over half. I'm already pretty adamant that an agent or publisher can suggest all sorts of new titles for my book, but I don't want to accept anything that has an "of" in it.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#9 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:47 PM

Okay, I've been thinking about it last night and all day, and I've come up with some title ideas. Let me see what you guys think.

-Five Saving Five
-Saving Five
-An Element Game (Would it be dangerous/risky to use the word "game" in the title, given the popularity of Hunger Games and Game of Thrones?)
-An Elemental Journey (I know the word "elemental" has been used many times before, but if it's worked before...)

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

How about "Defenders of the Elements" and have a great cover image

#11 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:24 PM

How about "Defenders of the Elements" and have a great cover image

I'd go with that, but like Inloft said, it's got the word "of" in it, which has been done to death in sci-fi/fantasy. Even four of the Harry Potter books have "of" in the title! And my mom thinks "defenders" sounds like they're in the army, lol. But a great cover image would be an epic win! :smile:

#12 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

If you are shying away from "of" why not "Elemental Defenders" or something.  I dunno, the word "defenders" doesn't conjure up the army for me, especically with the word "element" alongside it  :tongue:

#13 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 27 March 2018 - 07:44 AM

Alright, now I'm debating between two titles:

-An Elemental Journey

-Elemental Defenders

One title, I think, would probably sound more appealing to an agent (I'm not telling you which one), especially since I would like for this to become a series.

The other title (again, I'm not telling you which one) I've been told sounds more like a title for a Marvel comic.

Which one sounds better to you?

#14 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

The other title (again, I'm not telling you which one) I've been told sounds more like a title for a Marvel comic.

Ok, haha, what I suggested totally does sound like a Marvel comic.  In my defence, I don't watch many movies.  I like An Elemental Journey.

#15 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:09 AM

Ok, haha, what I suggested totally does sound like a Marvel comic.  In my defence, I don't watch many movies.  I like An Elemental Journey.

I like that one the best, too. It sounds unique.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users