#1 anathebookworm

anathebookworm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

Oops, a little late. But oh gosh, I never thought I'd post something here! So happy! This got me more than 20 full requests, and a few partials too. I only got one offer, but that's because I knew my agent was The Agent--so I withdrew my fulls before my deadline.

To everyone that's still struggling in the query trenches, hang in there! You'll find your perfect agent soon! :)

Also, a HUGE thank you to everyone that helped me get there! So many of you critiqued my query, and I'll be forever grateful. <3

Twelve-year-old Jacob Allen has a secret: he has a crush on his best friend—a boy. At least, it used to be a secret. Now that his family knows, they’ve got plenty to say about how a relationship with another boy could never work. As lecture-induced panic attacks begin to steal away the person he thought he was, Jacob starts keeping an even bigger secret: he’s going to run away from home. He’ll leave any day now. It’ll be easy—not a soul knows about his plans.

Except his cousin, Olivia.

Twelve-year-old Olivia Taylor has been in a coma for almost a year, but she doesn’t know it. As far as she knows, she has spent the last months with an aunt, living in an empty coffee shop. Then she starts hearing the voice of a mysterious boy who’s planning to run away from home—he’s just outside the shop door, but it’s locked, and she can’t find the key. Olivia is desperate to help him. Until the boy tells her terrible things about an accident and a girl stuck in a coma, and then she’s no longer certain she wants to find her way out.

Jacob already feels lost to a family that can’t accept him, and when Olivia’s doctors say that he’ll need to let her go if she doesn’t improve soon, his anxiety climaxes to a crippling point.

To help Jacob, Olivia must open a door that’s been locked for as long as she can remember. She isn’t sure she’s ready to face the real world, but if she doesn’t find the key soon, it’ll be too late to save Jacob…and herself.

THE SYMPTOMS OF DYING is a dual POV MG contemporary with hints of magical realism complete at 36,000-words. This story features several POCs (including the main characters) and I am a POC myself.

Unfortunately, there is a gap in queer literature for young people—it’s particularly hard to find MG books that include LGBT characters of color. I believe that this book will help to fill this gap as well as help young LGBT POC readers see themselves in books written especially for them.

#2 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Sounds lovely! Congrats! :)

#3 anathebookworm

anathebookworm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

Ahhh, thanks Nessa! <3 It truly is the book of my heart.

#4 Nonicks

Nonicks

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationEurope

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

I remember you. Congrats!! It's amazing and truly inspiring!

How many queries did you send?

#5 anathebookworm

anathebookworm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth America

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:45 PM

Nonicks, hi! I remember you, too! How's it going? :) I sent around 100 queries! haha However, it's worth noting that this book was YA at first, and then it became MG. So the 100 queries are for both times I queried. Thank you soooo much! I still can't believe this happened!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users