DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:30 PM

Generally speaking, do ALL comps have to be recent, as in within the last three to five years? The comps I wanted to use in my query are from 2001 and 1983  :blink: respectively.  

I'd rather just not use comps at all, but from what I've seen, most agents want 'em.  So many rules, so little time.  

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

Generally speaking, do ALL comps have to be recent, as in within the last three to five years? The comps I wanted to use in my query are from 2001 and 1983  :blink: respectively.  

I'd rather just not use comps at all, but from what I've seen, most agents want 'em.  So many rules, so little time.  

Generally, yeah. I mean four or six years or whatever, if it fits really well, and isn't super well known, no one will really care but pushing 20 and 35... that's a problem.

It's not about a rule, but about that the agent wants to see that you're aware of the current market and your genre and category. 

If your comps are both from decades ago, it might signal you don't read any current stuff (this is a thing that happens), and hence, write in the same style as was popular 35 years ago, but isn't now, or write stuff that's outmoded in other ways, or write stuff that's really, really, really been covered, but you don't know it's not a new thought or new angle, because you (not you you, the general, theoretical you), haven't read much since back when. 

It'd be like if someone's comps were both really old sci-fi -- an agent might worry that the writer hasn't kept up with what's been written since in sci-fi and is just retreading stuff people are well over. 

Kind of the same reason your comps should never be blockbusters or classics or even usually so popular they were made into movies or tv shows -- it doesn't indicate you're familiar enough with the market, for one, because you might just read the big blockbuster books, and those are also almost always older by the time they've hit, so you're pushing into what's likely a saturated market. The other problem is it sounds pompous -- this is like I, Robot crossed with LotR -- just makes an agent roll his or her eyes at the hubris.

#3 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

Ideal comps:

- Published within last 5 years (Agents have different preferences, but the more recent the better)

- No viewable adaptations (movies, TV shows)

- Not massively popular 

- All of the authors' books fulfill the previous 2 bullet points

Comps are meant to show two key things: 1) You're educated about the market and your desire to land representation isn't on a whim, and 2) You're humble. It's great to be confident, but like Springfield said, if somebody pitches their book as I, Robot ​meets LotR​... If somebody has a book with that concept (I'd love to read it), they'll have to pitch it in a more humble way.

Some agents want comps, some don't mind, and some would rather have no comps than decent comps. It depends. Check out their Twitter and manuscript wish list profiles.

I love dogs

#4 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys :)  Makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic