Disclaimer

Photo

How to do a synopsis with two main characters?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mojicanpuertorican

mojicanpuertorican

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:44 PM

As the title suggests, my story shifts in two point of views. Should I dedicate each paragraph to each point of view change in the synopsis? Is there anything that has helped you personally? I'm afraid it might come out too long or confusing with the two POVS. 

#2 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

I did seperate paragraphs for mine.  Luckily, my story could get by showing the one MC more often, so it wasn't that complex for me.  But still, it seems like the most logical thing to do.

#3 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

As the title suggests, my story shifts in two point of views. Should I dedicate each paragraph to each point of view change in the synopsis? Is there anything that has helped you personally? I'm afraid it might come out too long or confusing with the two POVS. 

The synopsis should be an overview of the story, regardless of POV. Don't do POV changes in the synopsis.

#4 iciclewieldingmaniac

iciclewieldingmaniac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None as of yet!

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

Do you mind providing a little more detail? You say that your story shifts between two perspectives, but are they working together to tell two halves of the same storyline, or are they more distinct from each other than that? Regardless I'm not sure how I feel about splitting the synopsis into two paragraphs, simply because as Springfield mentioned, a synopsis is usually a simplistic overview regardless of POV. However, I guess it could depend on the specifics of your story!

#5 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:08 PM

I did seperate paragraphs for mine.  Luckily, my story could get by showing the one MC more often, so it wasn't that complex for me.  But still, it seems like the most logical thing to do.

I should specify, in mine, I didn't mean I had one big paragraph for one story line, and then one big paragraph for another.  I alternated between all of them, sticking to the actual way the events unfold in the story.  My synopsis is on the "synopsis board" if you want to take a look.  It's not perfect, but it might give you an idea of what worked for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users