A. Wass

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 April 2018 - 03:49 PM

Hey there. I was just wondering what my fellow writers do when they're torn between what to start next. I finished editing a WIP and have begun querying, but the querying process is soooooooo long. To keep myself busy I figured I would start a new WIP. I have two different ideas that I started some time ago but never finished. Both have about 10k written already. One is YA Scifi and one is YA Contemporary. I can't decide which to work on! Has anyone else ever had this problem? What did you do to resolve it?

#2 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:22 PM

I write whatever my mind is the most preoccipued with at the current moment.  I just go with want the heart wants, haha.

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

I have a lot of different projects that need revisions, so if I'm not going stir-crazy not writing, I'll work on those. But inevitably the itch to create something new pops up, and generally I hope I have some new idea floating around my head right now. However, the book I'm currently querying has a bit of a fun story behind it, where I was absolutely desperate to write something new, but rather short on ideas. So I decided that for once I didn't care about quality or writing something I hoped to get published ever, and I went to http://tvtropes.org/ and rolled myself 5 random tropes, with the idea that I had to write some story that somehow incorporated those 5 tropes. I didn't care about length or quality. Just needed a prompt to unload on. And... I got super lucky, was struck by awesome inspiration, and wrote the entire book in something like 34 days. So I always do have that in my back pocket if I'm ever absolutely stumped, where I'm basically creating myself a writing challenge.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,107 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blue Ridge Library Mystery series, (publisher Crooked Lane Books) written as Victoria Gilbert. Book One - A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS: December 2017. Book Two - SHELVED UNDER MURDER: July 2018. Book Three - PAST DUE FOR MURDER: Feb. 2019. Bks 4 & 5 in series under contract.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:59 AM

It depends. What genre is the book you are querying? Because if you believe you have a good shot at landing an agent with the book you're querying, it might be good to write something in the same general genre so that you'd soon have a second book to offer that agent and/or pub. (They usually like you to stay in the same genre for a little while, to build your "brand.")

Of course, you should write something new, NOT a sequel to the book you are querying (yet). It's usually best to write any sequels after you get a deal on the first books because a.) the agent/pub. could ask for major changes in the first book that would dramatically affect the sequel, and b.) if the first book doesn't actually get picked up by anyone you want something different to query.

P.S. YA scifi are very difficult to place/sell right now, from what I've seen, so unless your first book is a YA scifi and you want to stick with that genre for "brand" reasons, personally I'd go for the contemp.

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,760 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

I think you're getting great responses here. Personally, if one of those projects is really calling to you more than the other, I'd go with the one that's calling you.

That said, Lucid makes excellent points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users