#1 kiwivictim

kiwivictim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:36 AM

A while back I submitted my young adult novel to an agent who rejected it. I replied to them some time later with some further information about myself with appreciation for their response and essentially a nudge to reconsider.

Today, I received a response. They in a sense said that they didn't feel the writing was of a publishable standard. They haven't read the whole manuscript and are willing to take a second look if I haven't yet found an agent. And also advise me to continue looking for an agent meanwhile.

This is the first time I have had any kind of luck like this, and I'm not sure what to do. Am I being thrown a life line, should I revise before I re-send? Should I see if they would be willing to work with me to revise?

#2 Springfield

Springfield

Find me at properediting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

A while back I submitted my young adult novel to an agent who rejected it. I replied to them some time later with some further information about myself with appreciation for their response and essentially a nudge to reconsider.

Today, I received a response. They in a sense said that they didn't feel the writing was of a publishable standard. They haven't read the whole manuscript and are willing to take a second look if I haven't yet found an agent. And also advise me to continue looking for an agent meanwhile.

This is the first time I have had any kind of luck like this, and I'm not sure what to do. Am I being thrown a life line, should I revise before I re-send? Should I see if they would be willing to work with me to revise?

First, NEVER DO THAT. Lord. You got very, very lucky.

Second, YES, revise it -- if they say the writing isn't up to publishable standard, then don't send anything out to ANYONE until you edit the heck out of the entire ms. 

No, they do not want to help you do basic editing. 

#3 Nessa

Nessa

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:Harmony Ink Press
    #AMM mentee

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:01 AM

Revise the entire manuscript with the help of experienced critique partners, then requery.

Don't try this again with another agent. This is very risky conduct.

I love dogs

#4 RosieSkye

RosieSkye

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:53 PM

I agree with what everyone else has said.  Frankly, I'm shocked that they invited you to resubmit when they didn't think the writing was up to snuff, but they're probably assuming you'll do a major overhaul.  And no, don't approach them about revisions.  Deliver them the absolute best manuscript you can, and if they offer notes, you can go from there.

#5 smithgirl

smithgirl

smithgirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

Wow, you really did get lucky. Revise and try again. 

#6 Kelz1990

Kelz1990

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:39 PM

I agree with what everyone else said - revise your MS first. But it sounds like to me you made a rookie mistake by responding to a rejection. I'll admit - I've made a similar mistake in the past. When one of the agents I was querying replied back with a vague "Looking forward to reading more" response, I replied back and asked if she wanted a partial or a full. Honestly, I thought she was wanting to read more, when it was probably just a salutation-type email.

We all make mistakes as newbies who are trying to get published, but it's best to never respond to any sort of email from an agent, unless they're 1) requesting a partial or a full (and it specifically says so in the email), or 2) they want to set up "the call" with you. Fortunately, you got lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users