A. Wass

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hey there. I have a YA Contemporary that I'm looking for a beta reader or two for. Mostly I'm looking for thoughts on the overall plot, characters, etc and not so much line editing. Here's the query I'm going to use for it if you want to know more about it. Let me know if you're interested. Fair warning, one of the character's starts off being in a depressed state, so please don't read this if it'll trigger you. Essentially this story is a mix of SEVEN POUNDS and THE BUCKET LIST, if you seen those movies.

Sophie has spent the last few years struggling to breathe, going in and out of the hospital more times than she can count. But all that changes when she finally receives the lung transplant she’s been praying for. Her worst fear is that someday she'll reject the lungs, so she’s eager to take her new lungs out for a test drive and enjoy life while she still can. Sophie spends the summer before she goes to college speeding around on her motorbike and whipping up irresistible goodies at her mother's bakery. She never expected Jason, the brother of her organ donor, to walk through the door.

After Jason’s sister dies in a car accident that he caused, he blames himself and can't move past the grief. Desperate to end the pain, he secretly plans to kill himself, but first he wants to meet all of the people his sister’s organs saved. Sophie is the last one, and meeting her means he’s ready to end his suffering. When Sophie finds his sister's bucket list on her blog, she convinces him they should complete it for her, so he puts his plan on hold.

Together, Sophie and Jason travel the world and complete the items on the list. They dance in Time Square, kiss on top of the Eiffel Tower, and see the Northern Lights. The more time they spend together, the more they both start to heal. Completing the list gives Sophie a way to repay her organ donor and Jason a reason to live, but the closer they get to the end, the more Sophie thinks she’s showing early signs of rejection. Both must decide if they’re willing to fight for love, even if it has an expiration date.

BEFORE I LEAVE YOU, complete at 70,000 words, is a dual POV YA Contemporary. It will appeal to fans of Gayle Forman’s IF I STAY and Cynthia Hand’s THE LAST TIME WE SAY GOODBYE.

#2 cbillingslegault

cbillingslegault

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

Good morning! This sounds really interesting. I have a MG contemporary about friendship and social issues. I'm about halfway through a rewrite based on feedback I got from CPs about the last draft. Would you be interested in chatting more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users