K.C. Karr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Repped by Ali Herring at Spencerhill Associates

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:03 PM

This query has gotten me 16 full requests and 3 offers of rep. A lot of my requests came from #PitMad, so I'll include my most successful pitch below the query. The biggest thing I've learned from querying is that AMAZING first pages are what sell you. Good luck, everyone!

Dear Agent,

LIFE EXPECTANCY MAY VARY is a 64,000-word YA Contemporary novel that was showcased in Pitch Wars 2017. It explores grief, loss, and what makes life worth living. With a focus on PTSD, anxiety, and a physically debilitating disease, it will appeal to fans of MY HEART AND OTHER BLACK HOLES by Jasmine Warga and TEACH ME TO FORGET by Erica Chapman.

After watching his sick father destroy things—his mother’s face, their family memories, and eventually, himself—eighteen-year-old Hudson Trent is certain of one thing. He will never let Huntington’s Disease turn him into a raging monster. If it means killing himself before anyone realizes he’s sick, so be it, and if he never has to choose when to pull the ventilator from his dying older brother, even better.

Life and death collide when Hudson’s suicide is interrupted by Remi Ehress. Hudson talks her off the quarry ledge, and, against his better judgment, into a late-night omelet at his favorite diner. The two strangers share one soul-baring night of firsts and lasts. But, if rollerblading, or an impossibly romantic and awkward ballet lesson, or even a first kiss was enough to prevent Hudson’s illness, he would’ve come out of hiding and chased experiences years ago. He might’ve even braved having a friend like Remi.

But when night fades to morning, Hudson finds himself alone at the quarry. No matter what Remi’s newfound friendship sparked inside of him, his circumstances have not changed. One question stands between Hudson and a 300-foot fall: Is life with a deadline still worth living?

Previous publications include the young adult novel, Antithesis, with Inkspell Publishing. Several of my short pieces have been selected for literary magazines and anthologies, and my short story, “Distraction,” is available in NYC’s Subway Library. I am a member of SCBWI and the Flint Area Writers Group, and editor of the blog All the Way YA.

Per your instructions, I’ve included the first ten pages of LIFE EXPECTANCY MAY VARY. I look forward to your response.

PITCH:

Hudson has the same disease that’s killing his brother. Dying doesn’t terrify him, but the girl who interrupts his suicide does. Two strangers, a night of firsts and lasts, and one impossible decision: Is life with a deadline still worth living? #PITMAD #YA #CON #MH

Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.

#2 BadgerFox

BadgerFox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:00 AM

Well done! So pleased for your success :) This is an awesome pitch and query.

Spare a little feedback, if you have a moment? :)

My AU historical novel query: here. Thank you!

#3 SnowFox23

SnowFox23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:54 AM

Congratulations! Fantastic news!

3 offers of rep is a wonderful achievement. Can you say who you are signing with? Also, how many requests did you get from Pitmad?

Cheers!

#4 K.C. Karr

K.C. Karr

K.C. Karr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 126 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Repped by Ali Herring at Spencerhill Associates

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

I've signed with Ali Herring at Spencerhill Associates.

I ended up with 19 agent request from #PitMad, plus 2 editors, and some small presses.

Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.

#5 KitCampbell

KitCampbell

Occasionally considering octopus husbandry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels published through Turtleduck Press, short stories all over the place. Readying to dip my toes back into the agent search pool.

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:57 AM

Congrats!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Young Adult

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users