6 replies to this topic

#1 LittleMissStark

LittleMissStark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm self-published on Amazon Kindle. It feels very small and unnoticed but some of the best journeys start with the smallest beginnings.

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

I'm writing a Sc-Fi horror set 200 years in the future. Theres so much to think of and I really want everyone's thoughts on this. What do you think the technology will be like in 200 years? how dependent will we be on it?

#2 michaelblaine

michaelblaine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:52 PM

I'm guessing that eventually, at the apex of the tech age, our planet will experience some sort of catastrophic event (man made/natural?) that will throw us back to the 1800's or earlier.  My opinion is that in 200 years,  we'll be just catching up to where we are now.

#3 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:19 PM

Exactly. According to the sci-fi movies back in the 80s and 90s we were supposed to have flying cars, an ultra intelligent society that didn't resolve differences via outlandish acts of violence. Of all the freaking movies about the future. Idiocracy seems to have hit things right on the nail. As far as the book sector goes you have 1984 which spelled this future out quiet well. Nikola Tesla even had a few things to say about our society now. Of course (and this a very unpopular topic even among writers) the Bible in 2 Timothy even depicted how vile society in general will and would be. (for the most part it already is).

Then you have to account for greed. Why come out with something new and better if it means making less money? More money in treating something than curing something. Politicians will be bought and sold by the dozen so any kind of advances that could be made may very well be hindered. It's not a religion, creed or philosophical view that will hinder anything. It's ignorance and greed which is at the core of most things...mostly greed.

#4 mkuriel

mkuriel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've heard that's a thing...

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

We're going to dive heavily into virtual reality, nano-technology, and artificial intelligence. Sometime in the next 50 years, we'll successfully augment people with technology. AI will take over most industrial-based jobs and humans will spend most of their time enjoying life in ways they find personally meaningful.

Sometime in the next 100 years, AI will find it's limits, be unable to cope, and self-destruct.

Humanity, in the mean time, will start exploring the physics of consciousness (BTW, we always have done this, it will just be more mainstream and less mystical). This is starting now with the work of a few scientists whose work is to bridge science and faith or spirituality. The nearest "breakthroughs" will happen when we learn to see energy fields (like magnetic and electric) and will find many things that scientists never expected. 

Augmentation will fall out of favor once we explore the full implications of the fact that our brains work like antennas that tune to a quantum field (this is already peer-reviewed science). Human physiology will change and shift - climbing out of the evolutionary stand-still it's been in since the time of Atlantis.

We will master movement with the use of sound and specially designed rotating magnetic fields. 

In 200 years, the physics of consciousness predominates. We'll stop externalizing technological development and learn to live quantum lives. 

Most of the above requires a certain percentage of humanity in the present to push past the wisdom barrier in the quantum field our brains tune to. Those of us who choose not to fall into fear begin a generational process that enables people to outgrow the desire to weaponize new technologies; to internalize peace and have truly compassionate social systems for coping with human imbalance; to reconnect us with the fundamental human nature that we've lost.

Of course, there's also the possibility that we destroy ourselves. Contrary to what mainstream media projects, that probability dwindles more and more with each passing year.

But I'm an otter, what do I know?

#5 conundrum

conundrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

I like your question LittleMissStark, for me it's a very intriguing topic. I wish you much success in your endeavor and discovery of what the world might look like 200 years from now.  To answer your question gives me the opportunity to share a little of my personal insight and perspective on this reality with great interest.

Like mkuriel, my hope and wish is that we connect organically with the planet and pursue a greater understanding of our energy and the earth's energy and how it sustains us.

Yes, I agree with michaelblaine things can go horrible wrong and we become subject to a catastrophic event out of our control. Regardless of our technology (a human invention) we are here by what would appear a miracle in itself. And lucky enough to have sustained a lengthy human history to learn from during our evolutionary process.

Which brings me to your question of where will be in 200 years.

If we are still here, we are still evolving as a human race. Our evolutionary process, is both collective and individual. I think most people would agree with that statement. I lean more towards metaphysics. We are spiritual beings in human bodies having experiences and building upon our development as souls, and by doing this, we have physical life experiences in human form in the form world of density through which to evolve. But, because this is an individual experience, and what seems to be a very arduous process while working at a snails pace leaves room to succumb to base human instinct as opposed to enlightened conscious human beings with the will to support one another, as well as the planet, and all life within it.

If you ponder on the subject we are all responsible for what happens here, and in which direction the future will unfold. There is always the proverbial fork in the road. I'm optimistic, and I choose to be, and tend towards balance with mind, body and spirit.

Fascinating to say the least, and worth making your life and the life of others better while you have the opportunity during your stay here before you leave.

I look forward to read your vision of the future.

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

It's certainly an intriguing question. For me, I'd start by thinking about where we're living. Assuming we're still on the planet and that climate change escalates as scientists are predicting (e.g., much higher average temperatures, greatly reduced access to clean water), I'd expect some alternative living arrangements from what we know today. Let's face it, we essentially live much the same as we did 200 years ago: houses and rooms. So if there's to be a major shift, it would probably be something similar but in a different context -- perhaps underground, underwater, or in the air. All those placements would require significant changes in technology. And how would the water issue be resolved? I think a technological approach is most likely. I wouldn't be surprised if 200 years from now the richest person on the planet is the one who masters the science of combining hydrogen and oxygen atoms to create water.

Would there be an AI approach to accomplishing that? Sure, why not.

Once you've created your world, then populate it.

#7 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

pJlhvI4.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fiction, Horror, Science Fiction

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users