Disclaimer

Photo

When to follow up with agent who requested a FULL?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robbyidol

robbyidol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:34 PM

Hi all - I wasn't sure where to post this in the AQC forums, so I hope this is an okay place.

I have been trying to find representation for my MG novel since August 2017.  So far I've submitted about 35 queries, had a few requests for partial, and a couple for the full manuscript.  All have rejected me ultimately, save for one agent who requested the first 3 chapters in Oct 2017, then excitedly asked for the full in late Nov 2017.

Since submitting the full manuscript to her at the end of Nov 2017, I have not heard from her at all.  What is the general time frame for a full manuscript submission to get some kind of response?  I suppose it's possible she's passing on me, and the radio silence is my answer.  But I'm also just curious if she's still considering my work, if she's gotten to it at all, or if she is officially passing on it.

Is it bad form to reach out to an agent who has requested the full but has not responded to the work in about 5 months?  Or should I give her more time?  Or just sit on my hands assume silence means pass?

Thank you all for any insight you may have!  I don't want to step on an agent's toes, but I'm just sort of curious where this agent is at since she's my current last hope for representation (unless a future agent takes me on).

#2 spineofiron

spineofiron

Probably Drinking Coffee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

That's plenty of time to give a nudge, even counting the Christmas holidays (a lot of agencies all but shut down around December). Personally, I'd nudge. Just a quick, polite e-mail thanking her again and reminding her that she has your full and you're still interested in working with her. Did she give you an estimated timeline about when she'd get back to you?

"I am a fire escape. My spine is made of iron, my heart pumps out old red paint."

-- Foster the People

-- -- --

NIGHT OF SORROWS

Query

Hook

250 Words

#3 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

I too have been waiting for a response to a full request since November, so I feel your pain. I was told to wait to contact again until six months, but I'm planning to do a little sooner than that. Check out on their website; I noticed on mine that in their FAQ section they say you shouldn't be afraid to reach out if it's been longer than the estimated time period. I've also gone through the comments on Query Tracker (https://querytracker.net/) for my agent, and I've done the calculations for the people who have reported hearing back after a full request for how long it was. There were only a couple, but I'm estimating from that that it could be up to 30 weeks or so before I hear back. Still, I don't see it as harmful to politely check in, as it shows I'm still invested and haven't signed with another agent without bothering to tell my hopeful agent. I'll conclude by noting that while plenty of agents don't respond to all queries, they all should in theory be responding to all requested materials. So no response means they haven't said no yet. Good luck.

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

#4 robbyidol

robbyidol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I actually found a blog article written a few years ago on this very topic - AND by the agent currently in possession of my manuscript!  She said to give at least 6 months (I'm on month 5) for an agent to respond before sending them a nudge.  I'll give her another couple months more, keep querying other agents while working on my next manuscript for now.

She also had a good bit of perspective in that reading/responding to new manuscripts is often LOW on the agent's priority list since their main concern is working on behalf of the writers they are actively representing.  That means everything from helping with revisions to selling them to publishers and coordinating book deals.  So it makes sense to manage the business you have in hand FIRST before getting into the weeds on new prospects.  Should the day come any of us are signed to an agent, we'll appreciate that mindset and effort on our behalf :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users