Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:10 AM

Is Agent Query Connect dying off? I met a lot of good people here and now most have gone away.  I remember it years ago before it came to this new website. Each group had it's own chat, it seemed more alive back then.Or is just me?

#2 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:06 AM

I started using AQC hmm about four years ago, I think. Not sure. I haven't been back much for about one year and things have changed. People have disappeared, but that's normal. People come and go. It's a good way of meeting new people.

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

Twitter: @tccorrey

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

AQC is in a permanent state of evolution.  When folks who started as new writers here have attained some success they no longer need the support of the AQC community which is largely for first timers.  I check back in regularly and sometimes find gems from those who've gone before.  One should come here not only for community support, but also to learn to write, not just your book, but the query letter, the synopsis, and once complete how to market yourself.  When you succeed you will visit less often too.

#4 NCruz

NCruz

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:#AMM mentee

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:27 PM

I'm guessing that AQC had a peak moment with plenty of people using the site at a time. Then they started signing with agents, editors, moving onto different parts of their lives, etc.

I used to be on here everyday leaving one or two query critiques. Now that I've won one of those Twitter mentor contests, I don't visit here as often.

#5 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:12 PM

It has definitely changed. I remember when I'd post an editing game and it would go on for months. Now, one or two people might participate and it dies. It seems to have lost fun factor it used to have. Having fun together here turned into networking, which eventually got me published. I count many of the people I know from here among my friends - even though I've only met a couple of them in real life.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#6 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 04:04 AM

Actually, I think I know what’s going on. Or at least it’s partly to blame. I’ve been a member with AQC for 4 yrs and I’m on here on and off, depending how busy I am with writing and if I have a new query to work on. Over time, I met some wonderful people here and with some I’m still in touch.

But I noticed certain people, one in particular, trashing other peoples work. Making impolite comments without actually understanding the genre, like, as an example, a memoir or biography. They purport to be published while they aren’t, or lead to a link that leads nowhere and never ever posted a query. Comments are always vague and anything but polite or encouraging. For people who don’t have a thick skin, it’s deflating and they don’t return.

At least that's one thing I noticed since I returned.

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

#7 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

You can send a message to AQCrew about bad behavior. They are pretty good about that sort of thing.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#8 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

I don't understand what people get out of it. Really. It influences judgement from other people, people who actually know the business or try to find a foot in it. I'll continue keeping an eye on comments on all queries from people and report if it continues going on. Some people are just toooo bored in life.

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

#9 conundrum

conundrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:48 PM

One Martini in and liking your comment Tanja. You need to have the thick skin of a Tyrannosaurus rex. I just tell myself, if you poke the bear, be prepared.

And that's for anyone that comes in as a newcomer and wants to share their work. Don't be afraid of someones comments. I've learned, be a screen and let it blow through.

This site has so much to offer. Again, as I said before. I'm amazed and very happy to have found it.

You'll note...this is evolution baby!!!! ;)

#10 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 03:24 AM

ha ha ha very well said. Hope you liked that Martini :cool:

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

RABBIT 76 (NEW PROJECT)

#11 Pen

Pen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:51 PM

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, simply because I haven't seen it, but I'm very surprised that it would happen here on AQC. Other sites? Yeah people will rip others to shreds and are just plain evil about it- down right abusive. An honest critique, in my mind, is just that. Honest. It may not be what I want to hear or read, but it's what I need to read or hear.

Example; for one of my recent projects, I thought I did good. Turns out there are a few things I flubbed up on. The person who provided the critique taught me a lot about certain elements of the project. Now that I know these things I can move forward with making a better product. I'll know how to best use those tools moving on in the future.

On the other hand. You just have people that want nothing more than to rip you apart. However I've never known anyone on any level of success that didn't have people who hated their work.

With critiques I try my best to help out with the story in general, maybe some areas of logic, etc. Others here are better at solving grammar issues, which is  an area I'm not very strong in. As you can tell from reading my posts.

#12 DisgruntledWriter

DisgruntledWriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

I agree with Pen - there are certainly people on this website who don't sugarcoat what they're saying, but no one on here is telling people that their work sucks.  Sure, sometimes people don't read a query quite right and leave the wrong comments and advice.  Shit happens, we're human.  When you get a harsh crituque, it sucks, but I'd rather get a harsh crituque than send stuff out to agents and get rejections and wonder why.  Sometimes I'll get a critique that I don't agree with off the bat, purely because it is harsher or more honest, but after a few days, I realize that it had merit.  Sometimes I won't agree with everything the critique says, but most of the time, I at least agree with some of it.  I think the more brutally honest critiques have helped me develop a way thicker skin, and I'm greatful, especially if this is the business I want to get into. 

From my understanding, this website used to be much different back in the day.  There was a chat feature, and people seemed more invested on other boards playing editing games and whatnot.  Now, people seem to stick to the query boards. Sites evolve as different people come and go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users